General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low Coolant Lamp always on, brown/clay on coolant dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant Lamp always on, brown/clay on coolant dipstick

My 1999 Camaro SS 6-speed with 34k miles on it has a brownish / clayish substance on the dipstick. Also the low coolant level lamp has come on and stays on, even after topping up the system with a 50/50 mix of green prestone.

I have read here that the dexcool and green stuff shouldn't be mixed. I also been reading that I can remove the battery and then remove the Combination Battery Tray/Coolant Overflow Reservoir; once its out of the car, flush it with fresh water from a garden hose until you don't have any more "red wet clay" stuff coming out of it.

I would like to completely remove all the old coolant, is this the right method?
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/diy-coo...-flush-157898/

Also why would my low coolant lamp stay on even if the system is topped up?

Do I really need a new thermostat when flushing the system?

Will it be OK to use a power coolant flusher type machine on the LS1?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a system flush, but you'll also want to remove the actual cause of your mucky coolant: power steering cooler. Here's everything you'll need to know: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...uccess-23.html
Old 10-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Also why would my low coolant lamp stay on even if the system is topped up?
Your sensor is bad. It's likely that this contamination has fouled the sensor or permanently ruined it. A cleaning may solve the problem. Otherwise, the sensor will need to be replaced.

Do I really need a new thermostat when flushing the system?
No, but its a good idea to replace it while you have the system drained. It's such an inexpensive part that:
- It makes sense to replace the part pro-actively since it can strand you when it goes bad.
- You'll curse yourself if you need to drain your system in X months to replace it if it goes bad.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Your sensor is bad. It's likely that this contamination has fouled the sensor or permanently ruined it. A cleaning may solve the problem. Otherwise, the sensor will need to be replaced.
Is the sensor the #3 item circled on this picture attached to the rad? If I replace it down the road would I need to drain the coolant again or can I simply pop it off and throw on another one without affecting the coolant?

No, but its a good idea to replace it while you have the system drained. It's such an inexpensive part that:
- It makes sense to replace the part pro-actively since it can strand you when it goes bad.
- You'll curse yourself if you need to drain your system in X months to replace it if it goes bad.
Good call, Ill go ahead and replace. Now I need to figure out if I need to get the more expensive thermostat with the housing/seal or if I can get away with just buying the inside guts?
Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good call, Ill go ahead and replace. Now I need to figure out if I need to get the more expensive thermostat with the housing/seal or if I can get away with just buying the inside guts?
You need the entire housing setup unless you've replaced the water pump as the new pumps utilize the new style housing which allows for just the thermostat to be replaced.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the sensor and clean it, and do the coolant flush with the proper coolant. If the sensor still doesn't read correctly the just unplug it and strictly rely on monitoring your coolant temperature gauge like what was done after the low coolant sensor was eliminated in later model year Camaro's. if you still want to a tempt to use the low coolant sensor by replacing it, then just drain enough coolant into a smaller container to bring the coolant level down below the sensor then replace it and add the coolant you drained back into the radiator.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Is the sensor the #3 item circled on this picture attached to the rad?
yep

If I replace it down the road would I need to drain the coolant again or can I simply pop it off and throw on another one without affecting the coolant?
You'd need to drain the coolant again, but I had a new sensor go bad on my after a few months and I just siphoned off the first couple inches of coolant from the top in to two milk jugs, so the level was below the sensor port. After I changed the sensor, I just poured the coolant back in.

Shhhhh.... Don't tell anyone. If some folks here find that I "reused" coolant, I might be labeled a heretic and a sinner.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shhhhh.... Don't tell anyone. If some folks here find that I "reused" coolant, I might be labeled a heretic and a sinner.
You did what!

Old 10-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Ahhh. Don't ban me because I reused coolant.

Ban me because I **** in my oil. (It's my special secret additive. The urine dissolves inter-mollecular carbon deposits, I swear.)
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Well I flushed the system with the green antifreeze, and cleaned the sensor but the level sensor is still throwing a lamp. Ill just unplug it now and live without it.

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Lamp always on, brown/clay on coolant dipstick