General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting Problems

Old 10-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

My car is a 2001 M6 Camaro with 46k miles

Last night I go to start my car, and it wouldn't crank at all. Key turns fine, dash lights up, just no crank. NO security light so it wasn't VATS. I turned my headlights on and after doing so it allowed me to start it up normally. I thought this was strange but I didn't think much of it. Ran a few errands and it started fine each time I got back in the car (without headlights on first).

Today I go to drive home after staying a friend's place, and same thing. No crank at all. This time anything I did wouldn't allow it to crank. I messed around with the clutch switch and it didn't change anything. I also swapped the starter relay and it didn't change a thing. I eventually had to bridge the starter to get it started and drove it home with no issues. Once I got home, I attempted to start it up again and it fired right up with no trouble. So it seems to be an intermittent problem.

So right now I'm leaning towards the ignition switch on the column. Do these symptoms sound consistent with a failing switch? Would it have something to do with the car being cold vs warmed up? I will also add that yesterday I must of started and stopped the car at least 30 times driving around for a job that I do, and the day before the same thing. Could that have worn it out? It also got rained on before each time I had the starting trouble.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Teching In

TTT. any ideas?

It's started fine since this weekend but I haven't driven it much because I don't want to get stranded again. I cleaned as many grounds as I could find and sprayed some electric contact spay wherever i could.

I'm leaning towards the starter solenoid versus the ignition switch. I think I'm going to go ahead and replace it and check the contacts while I'm at it.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Starter might be going out. I had this problem last week and when I would hammer on the starter and try to start it, it would fire up. Getting mine rebuilt now.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Teching In

I think that's what my issue is too. That, or a bad connection somewhere. When it wasn't starting, I'm pretty could hear the relay click when listening under the hood while the key was being turned.

I bought this starter off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120823268919?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Hoping this solves my issues.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Did this fix your problem?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Teching In

So today I had time to install the new starter. It still has been starting up fine and I drove it today, but I didn't want to risk getting stranded again.

The new starter was a PITA to install. I had to remove the passenger O2 sensor just to get it into place. After installing the new starter, I went to test it out and now the engine wont fire. I can hear the starter spinning but it doesn't seem to be engaging the engine.

I thought it was the new starter not functioning or fitting right, but I put my old starter back in and it was the same thing. when I go to turn the key the volts are near 8. On the box for the new starter it says 12 volts.

I am thinking my battery is bad, and it didn't have enough juice to start the car with the new starter. (it's a bigger truck starter with the full bracket) And in the process of trying to start it I wore out the battery which is why it couldn't get the old starter to function.

I made sure everything was hooked back up properly. Does this sound like my battery or something else?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Teching In

UPDATE:

Checked for spark at the spark plug wires and I'm getting none when cranking.

Also, when the it's cranking the RPM's stay at zero. From what I understand the should read 100-200 when the engine is cranking? When I installed the starter today it took a lot of maneuvering and shoving to get it into place. Is it possible I screwed up the crank position sensor by hitting it or screwing up the wiring to the connector?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting Problems