General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flush and Dry Rocker Panels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flush and Dry Rocker Panels?

Does anyone know whether GM designed the 4th gen f-bodies with "Flush and Dry" style rocker panels? I know earlier cars were designed to drain water from the cowl area out through the rocker panels through drain holes...Obviously not exactly the genius design it was marketed as at the time.

The reason I ask is that I had a problem with water filling one rocker panel on my 96 Firebird. Originally I thought water was leaking in, so I went around trying to seal everything up. However, after a downpour last night, I pulled the drain plug to be greeting with another pile of water.

After studying the rocker long enough I found a few drain holes along the length of the rocker on the bottom - all completely blocked with grease from years of oil based rust proofing. I cleared these drains and more water began draining out. It started to rain outside too, so I watched and could see water somewhat steadily drain from these drain holes along the rocker.

So, I am trying to determine whether the car was designed to drain water through the rockers? Or whether these drain holes were just intended for extreme situations (like floods and stuff)??

Quick Reply: Flush and Dry Rocker Panels?