Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle bearing clicking when turning?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Axle bearing clicking when turning?

I hear a rotational clicking sound when turning right only. I hear it at just about any speed but I need to be turning enough. I thought it was coming from the front, but the more I listened and put my head out the window, it sounds like its coming from the driver rear...LR. Even lightly holding the brake pedal while turning, it'll still make noise. Is this the axle bearing causing this problem?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started ticking when I turned and eventually it gave out. Spider gears stripped out. Hopefully your is not but I would pull cover and check for metal.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

I've already had to change the axles when I found out one was bent from the previous owner. Their was no metal shavings and the gears looked fine. I did not notice the clicking until several months after I changed the axles.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

I think I've solved my issue. I replaced my rear brake pads with some quality ceramic ones and the sound went away. I had replaced the rear pads around the same time as the axle swap with some Autozone ones. I greased all the pins and replaced all the hardware then so that wasn't the issue. Simply changing the pads fixed everything. I'm not sure how or why but life is good now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle bearing clicking when turning?