Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

If I bang in the wheel wells....

Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I bang in the wheel wells....

Whats on the inside that I can damage?

How far can I bang it in?

I want 335's or 345's on bigass HRE's in the rear.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:32 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL going for the steamroller look huh? With that big a tire it seems like they are almost gauranteed to stick out of the wheel wells, even with the right offsets. I've never done the BFH mod, so I'm not experienced in that department. I'd be more worried about fitting those 345s on the back.

I think I may recall seeing 335s done before, but they did stick out. This was probably a year or so ago.

Good luck on your quest my friend
Old 05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
LOL going for the steamroller look huh? With that big a tire it seems like they are almost gauranteed to stick out of the wheel wells, even with the right offsets. I've never done the BFH mod, so I'm not experienced in that department. I'd be more worried about fitting those 345s on the back.

I think I may recall seeing 335s done before, but they did stick out. This was probably a year or so ago.

Good luck on your quest my friend
Damn, I don't want them sticking out. I thought they could be tucked in if I banged the wells enough. Maybe I'll go with 335's. Or maybe I can find a good body shop to give me some cool flared fender wells, but I don't want it to be gay looking.

I need the extra rubber to handle the power I'll be making on spray for roll races. I'm not interested in the track really.

Instead of getting an extra set of rims with slicks I'd rather just get some real soft huge tires on the back.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:32 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Go the cheap route and just buy a pair of BF Goodrich, or Nitto Drag Radials.

Don't get me wrong, 345s would be a PITA to get working on your ride. But I'm not saying 335s are going to be any easier. I have seen it done before, but it takes a whole lot of banging, he also rolled his fender wells.

Rolled fender wells don't look that bad at all, I've seen a black TA with all 4 rolled w/18s and 315s. It didn't take away from the lines of the car at all.

I really don't think there's any easy way to get that big a tire on these cars.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

315's barely fit with the BFH mod, so anything bigger, will stick out (on a Camaro).
Old 05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Go the cheap route and just buy a pair of BF Goodrich, or Nitto Drag Radials.
I had BFG's on there before last month when I bought new tires. With reduced air pressure and a good burnout I can lay two black marks for 300 feet on hot rough pavement with the BFG's. They're useless.

I'm really just interested in roll races, going from a dig in this thing is 100% useless on the street. If I ever go to the track I'll borrow some slicks from a friend.

I just want the wider tires so I can hook better from a 50 punch and have goodrain tires at the same time. Just like the Vipers and exotics.

335's would be cool, but 345's would be better.

I don't care if I have to bang the inner wells for a week straight, if it can be done without them sticking out the sides I'll do it.

I just need to know if this will work before I buy the HRE's.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
315's barely fit with the BFH mod, so anything bigger, will stick out (on a Camaro).
Whats the BFH mod?

My 315's fit perfectly, no rubbing no matter how hard I drive.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

BFH - Big ******* Hammer
Old 05-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Whats the BFH mod?

My 315's fit perfectly, no rubbing no matter how hard I drive.
BFH = Big Fuc*ing Hammer
Old 05-25-2004, 06:30 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

LOL yeah, what Levi said.

I don't know man, it's gonna suck to spend the cash for HREs and not be able to fit them on there with that big a tire. It's going to take some pretty serious modification. The hammer alone probably won't be able to do all the work
Old 05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL yeah, what Levi said.

I don't know man, it's gonna suck to spend the cash for HREs and not be able to fit them on there with that big a tire. It's going to take some pretty serious modification. The hammer alone probably won't be able to do all the work
I won't buy the rims unless it'll work perfectly. The place here in town will most likely be able to get me some 335's and 345's on rims for me to try.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

narrowed rear and a mini tub job is about teh only way they won't hang out. My 11's rubbed like hell until I rolled my fender lips....good luck !!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Launching!

You can get 335 to fit and NOT stick out. It does take a lot of hammering but it does fit even on a lowered car. I am running a 335 Michelin Pilot Sport on a 18x11.5 iforged wheel and I have no issues except when I have a passenger in the car and hit a large dip or bump then the tire rubs on the fender lip. I have been meaning to roll the fenders (not flare them) but just never have the time to do it. If your car is not lowered then it would not even be an issue. It just takes a lot of careful measuring.
I am going to end up going back to HREs and run a19 20 set up again with a 20x12.5 with the 345/25 20 in the back. It will require a little cutting and welding but nothing crazy.
I do not have any currnent digital pics. I will try to get some this weekend when we are at the Steel valley Nationals in Canfield, Ohio.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quickin,

A 315 BFG drag radial is going to hook better than a 335 or 345 Radial. A few extra mm of width is not going to give you any real advantage over the competition, its just going to look cool.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:19 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by alexWS6
Quickin,

A 315 BFG drag radial is going to hook better than a 335 or 345 Radial. A few extra mm of width is not going to give you any real advantage over the competition, its just going to look cool.

Agreed. Running a softer tire w/softer sidewall is going to get you more traction. Running a harder, wider tire, with a stiff sidewall, isn't going to help a thing. Looks like you've probably got quite a bit of power with your setup. so either way the beast will be hard to tame. I say 315 BFG or Nitto DRs are where it's at on the street. I run the BFGs.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Those 335/345's don't have any interference with the LCAs?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by alexWS6
Quickin,

I'm not interested in launching. I am interested in getting longer life from my tires. I want to go from 50 punches, so with a wider regular radial I should be OK from a roll with my power level. I had 315 BFG drags on the rear before, they're completely useless from a dig on the street, I can smoke both tires for 300 feet without full throttle. Even at lowered pressure and after a huge burnout.

I'll probably end up using 335/35/17 Hoosier A3S03 (Competition) on another set of rims for the nice weather days. I should have almost 700 RWHP on the spray, over 800 on the dual shot, so radials will probably be a waste of time to even bother.

Search this Thread