General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is this normal coolant system behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal coolant system behavior?

a friend of mine is saying that I have a bad head gasket/warped head, Im not too sure now myself.

heads were milled for straightness and gaskets are LS9 gaskets on a 4.030 bore. with headstuds torqued down to 75 ft lbs

When we were filling it and the T stat was closed the water would gush out of the fill neck like a geyser. it does not do this anymore since I put more coolant/water into the system. when I rev the engine. the coolant steam line coming from the heads flows stronger or flows more for lack of a better way of explaining it. I took a video explaining the condition.

http://vid1285.photobucket.com/album...psx6a8dqt3.mp4
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the flow seen through the filler neck is the steam port vent and not the outflow of the water pump(water pump flows out into the top of the rad)? Do you have your heater hoses hooked up? Seems like if you either don't have the heater hooked up or have a high flow pump and the thermostat is closed, the pumping pressure could back up through the steam ports. It's all connected. Where exactly do you have the steam ports routed to in the rad?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it's normal. when i changed the coolant on my 1999 and on my 2002 that would happen when filling the system. you need to fill it best you can, purge air by undoing the the throttle body hose, and also have the coolant overflow bottle located under the battery at the full mark. then put the radiator cap on and run motor through a full heat cycle. after when engine is cold pull radiator cap and top off as necessary. should only take 3 heat cycles until you pull radiator cap and see coolant all the way at the top with no air. but make sure your overflow bottle is full, otherwise the system will pull air back in from the overflow bottle.

Quick Reply: Is this normal coolant system behavior?