Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

car got hit when parked - paintless dent removal an option? pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car got hit when parked - paintless dent removal an option? pics inside

My Camaro was parked on the street on Saturday night in Mississauga in a residential area and it was hit on the left rear quarter panel and also slightly on the left rear bumper area. Unfortunately no one left a note and they took off like the scumbag that they are. I managed to remove most of the marks except for one 4" long scratch that seems to have made it's way to the base coat but not through it.

I a hoping this dent can be removed with some sort of paintless dent removal technique and that the original shape can be restored without any damage being noticed. I do not want any paint work done, just want the dent popped out and smoothed back to its original shape. By looking at the pictures do you think this is possible? Should I rush and get this done as soon as possible?

Pic before I removed the scratches:

Pic of scratches removed except one 4" scratch:

Pic of the car the day before it was dented:

Last edited by paradigmGT; 10-14-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Ouch! Im sorry to say this but I don't think your going to be able to just pop or pull that out. Especially because of where the dent is locate it.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i just took a pic of the screen and sent it to a buddy who does pdr , hes on vacation now that i sent this , crap but if he responds ill let you know what he says .
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that happened to you man. I had the same thing happen, my car was hit when parked on the street in a neighborhood... no note left of course.

No way PDR is gonna fix that dent... I've seen the PDR guys at my dealership do some miracle work but when dents are on body lines like that it's off to the body shop.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

had a similar incident a few years back with a dent about that size right on top of the fender well.

while it is so close to the body line it wont completely go away but a good PDR guy can remove the majority of it. but will likely still notice a wrinkle right on the body line where it meets the bumper and there might be one where it meets the corner of your taillight as well. just depends on how picky you are. mine went from a fist sized dent to just a little wave right on the fender lip. Most dont even notice it though i still do.

but if you want it back to perfect it will have to go to a body shop
Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure that can be gotten out, I know 2 pdr guys, both do great work!

I've seen them do dents that look much worse than the one on your car.

The problem you'll have is finding a pdr guy that doesn't mind big dents, most of them whine and complain about anything bigger than 2-3".

My brother and I do on site touch up repair for new and used car dealers, this is why I know it be be gotten out, I'd say at worst it would be 90%.

The only spot I think they'd have trouble with is right near the tail light, it's a little crease and hard to get perfect that close to a panel end.

In the next few months I'm gonna start doing pdr work, I've done it enough without the right tools and I know it would be easier with the right tools.

Do a search on YouTube for extreme pdr, You'll see some dents a lot worse than yours.

What area do you live in?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Time for a newpanel...
Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbow
I'm pretty sure that can be gotten out, I know 2 pdr guys, both do great work!

I've seen them do dents that look much worse than the one on your car.

The problem you'll have is finding a pdr guy that doesn't mind big dents, most of them whine and complain about anything bigger than 2-3".

My brother and I do on site touch up repair for new and used car dealers, this is why I know it be be gotten out, I'd say at worst it would be 90%.

The only spot I think they'd have trouble with is right near the tail light, it's a little crease and hard to get perfect that close to a panel end.

In the next few months I'm gonna start doing pdr work, I've done it enough without the right tools and I know it would be easier with the right tools.

Do a search on YouTube for extreme pdr, You'll see some dents a lot worse than yours.

What area do you live in?
You are right, a lot of the PDR guys have been whining about not wanting to do the job because they can make more money per hour if they do a bunch of smaller dents. They are all telling me it will take most of a day and they want to charge me around $350 for it, which I find kind of steep..

Anyways the car is now with one guy who has good reviews. I am hoping he can make it look near perfect again.

I am in Toronto, where are you?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Well most PDR guys said they couldn't do it to 100%, but Marco at Auto Magicians in Mississauga said he would be able to. He had great reviews on various online forums, and I decided to leave it with him.

Took him approximately one day, and it is back to looking like it was. He did a damn good job. All that remains is a light 4" scratch which I may cover with touch up paint and wet sand / compound until it is not noticeable.

After PDR:
car got hit when parked - paintless dent removal an option? pics inside-z1bdyvo.jpg
car got hit when parked - paintless dent removal an option? pics inside-squol2g.jpg
Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Damn dude, looks good, you gotta be tickled pink about the results
Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

wow , impressive
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear, I mean see.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

i swear its magic wtf..........
Old 10-24-2014, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unbelievable. That guy is GOOD. I don't even see how he could have done that.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Damn there are some incredible pdr guys out there. Ive seen some incredible saves, but your dent I didnt think would pull like that. That dude needs a raise.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Nice work. I too have one in the same spot. What did he charge you.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I work at a body shop and I can tell you as experienced as the guys are no way they could've done that. The PDR guy is amazing. Even the PDR guys I've seen that come by would no way come close to fixing it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm impressed.. I would have guessed that they wouldn't have been able to do it.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

astounding. I've seen work from PDR guys that couldn't get anything like that even close to that good. Besides what you paid him, buy that dude a beer
Old 11-01-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

holy moly nice

Quick Reply: car got hit when parked - paintless dent removal an option? pics inside