Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12-Bolt Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 12-Bolt Rebuild?

Well this rearend has been through hell, I bought it used 7 years ago, it was built in 2003 (I have the original receipt from Moser), and the only changes have been maintaining the fluid. It has become increasingly noisy, extremely horrible whine now. And it is somewhat difficult to hear over the exhaust, but I believe there is a new noise, kinda like a bearing noise. My pinion seal began leaking this year. I want to tear it all apart and replace everything on it, get the gears set-up right (maybe replace the gears if they are worn/damaged, any suggestion on brand?). Can anyone suggest a rebuild kit, which brand to stay away from etc.

Its seen 5k-6k plus clutch dumps on slicks and drag radials, pinion angle was off for sometime without an adjustable torque arm (its been set at -2, but just checked yesterday, locknuts came loose, and was at +5.... I think thats the new noise, that didn't leave after adjustment.)

Any suggestions on a bearing kit is appreciated.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've always used ratech kits and have been happy with them. I'm running their kit in my 12 bolt.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

In order to "get the gears set up right" you MUST replace them with a new ring and pinion set, as yours have a well worn in, set pattern on them now, which cannot be 'corrected' at this point.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^thats correct.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Well I found a few kits that include Timken bearings, http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId= and the Motive gears one is suppose to have Timken bearings as well.

As far as a new ring & pinion, what brands should I look at, or avoid?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've always bought motive, and have been pleased. Motive and Ratech get put in every rear end I work on.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
Well this rearend has been through hell, I bought it used 7 years ago, it was built in 2003 (I have the original receipt from Moser), and the only changes have been maintaining the fluid. It has become increasingly noisy, extremely horrible whine now. And it is somewhat difficult to hear over the exhaust, but I believe there is a new noise, kinda like a bearing noise. My pinion seal began leaking this year. I want to tear it all apart and replace everything on it, get the gears set-up right (maybe replace the gears if they are worn/damaged, any suggestion on brand?). Can anyone suggest a rebuild kit, which brand to stay away from etc.

Its seen 5k-6k plus clutch dumps on slicks and drag radials, pinion angle was off for sometime without an adjustable torque arm (its been set at -2, but just checked yesterday, locknuts came loose, and was at +5.... I think thats the new noise, that didn't leave after adjustment.)

Any suggestions on a bearing kit is appreciated.
Are you the one who bought my Moser 12 bolt from me seven years ago?
I bought it new back in 2003. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Are you the one who bought my Moser 12 bolt from me seven years ago?
I bought it new back in 2003. Bob
No sir, but I did buy it from my good friend Bob here local to me! This definitely was a fully loaded rearend back then. Every option they had this has. Put the noise has become a nice little reminder of the punishment it can take to a full out whine that resonates through the car. So something has finally worn out. I have never done anything like this before, but I am looking forward to it. Can't be anymore stressful than doing heads and cam all alone.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Setting up a ring and pinion correctly can be a little tricky the first time. Make sure you do your research.

Quick Reply: Moser 12-Bolt Rebuild?