Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

ZL1 Fuel Pump Disassembled or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZL1 Fuel Pump Disassembled or is it?

I bought a used fuel pump that is supposed to be a ZL1, but there is no way I can find to confirm this. So, I took the pump apart to get the part numbers off the pump itself and look for ways I can upgrade it myself.

Too get the pump apart you need to disconnect a couple electrical connectors on the outside.

I chose to pull this lock pin and remove the ring because the ring is pretty thing and did not want to break it.

There is another wire that slides into a black connector. You have to push a punch or something into the hole and slide the connector out of the side.

Then you can release the four white tabs that hold the bucket on and slide the top out of the bucket. Note it will not be completely disconnected because two fuel lines are still connected.

The filter is only held on to the pump by three white tabs incorporated into the piece that slides over the bottom of the pump.

The only thing holding the pump in place at this point is it's intake port and the o-ring on it. You can see it if you look close in the picture below as the I have pulled the pump down in the hole a bit.

This will allow you to slide the pump down far enough to see the numbering on the side.

The problems is I can't get anything to come up for any of this on the net except that Kafus is the Korean pump manufacturer.

If you straighten out what looks like a return line to me, you can slip the pump completely out without disconnecting it. That lettering says KGF6.5 which I'm assuming is the pressure required to seat it.

It looks like the black connector would slip off and allow you to replace the pump with a larger unit. That or you would replace that fuel line and splice wires onto the new pump.

If you went with a Walbro 400 you would have to use a different filter as the current cap would not go over the bottom of the Walbro. I welcome any ideas or information. Even confirmation that this is a ZL1 pump before I put it into my car only to find out its the same as the one I have. Obviously, I can check the numbers on the unit coming out, but I would like to know ahead of time and if this is just an SS pump, maybe I can upgrade it and still put it in.

BTW, I am only thinking of replacing it because I am dropping the cradle to do bushings, gears etc., so the cradle is coming down one way or another, I just wanted to ensure I would have more fuel than I will ever need while I have it down.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Yes that is the Zl1 fuel pump. I don't think there are any aftermarket pumps that will easily fit into the Zl1 bucket.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know anything about the 30401-P pump from FAST. It is 450lph and is supposed to support pulse modulation?

Quick Reply: ZL1 Fuel Pump Disassembled or is it?