General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing power steering pump...again...need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing power steering pump...again...need a little advice

So when I bought my sweet baby LS1 SS she had her issues. She had never been properly been taken care of. Neglected and abused. But once I rescued her from that relationship we started working on her problems. There was no power steering and PS fluid was covering the engine bay. It was a mess. Little surprise when I found the pump had frozen and was cored out. Well I replaced the pump after flushing the lines as best I could and low and behold I had power steering!!!......for about 2 weeks. Whatever crud was in my lines had made its way into my new pump and ruined it as well. Well here we go again. I've already deleted the PoS power steering cooler that was on the radiator hose and I'm replacing it with a undermounted blade cooler. I'm also replacing all the lines to and from the pump.

My question to you all is: do you think I should replace my rack and pinion as well? Just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the time.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think it would prbably best.... chaces are if the car has a decent amount of miles on it the rack probably has some play in it anyway. this way you'll have everything new. if there is crap in the rack then it'll go through the lines and into the cooler then ruin the new pump for a 2nd time

Quick Reply: Replacing power steering pump...again...need a little advice