General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fans not coming on.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fans not coming on.

I have a 98 T/A LS1 6 Speed. My fans do not come on. Changed both relays and fuses. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the PCM commands the fan on, only under certain conditions. the most common is when coolant gets over 226°, or the AC is running and you are doing less than 30mph.
so when parked and AC is on if your fans don't come on then
1) see if the fans actually work. easiest way i guess is to pull the fan relay out and jump the two leads, and see if the fans work. if they don't then trace the wires to the fans and check the grounds. worst case you have bad fan motors, but that's unlikely.
2) if the fans work then on passenger side of car is the wiring harness going to pcm. you'll want to probe the green and blue wire in one of the connectors to see if the pcm is commanding the fans to go on. the pcm will ground the green wire for low speed fans, and both the green and blue for high speed. if the pcm doesn't, then either you have a bad circuit in the PCM and would need a new PCM to make the fans work again.... or you can rig up a switch and turn them on manually or get a temp sender to make them come on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ion-issue.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fans not coming on.