Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and gear matching.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and gear matching.

I know one of the most important things for a cam is matching the gears (and in the case of a auto the stall too) to the power band of the cam.

I am about to get a fairly large cam 230/590/112 ish...Maybe a F11. Unfortunatly, I have already had 373's put in the stock rear so I dont want to spend the cheese right now to swap the gears out again since I will be getting a 12 bolt once I can justify spending the cash for that and heads.

my question is, will my gear ratio be hurting me that much untill I get the $ for the 12 bolt and heads? I want to leave it in that condition untill atleast next spring.

all im really shooting for is to hit 11's with a cam only with my current mods as soon as I get some drag radials. maybe 385rwhp with a good tune would be nice.

other mods I have wating to go on with the cam are: LS6 intake, ported MAF ends (removed my SLP MAF) and Harland Sharp rockers.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shaneSS
I know one of the most important things for a cam is matching the gears (and in the case of a auto the stall too) to the power band of the cam.

I am about to get a fairly large cam 230/590/112 ish...Maybe a F11. Unfortunatly, I have already had 373's put in the stock rear so I dont want to spend the cheese right now to swap the gears out again since I will be getting a 12 bolt once I can justify spending the cash for that and heads.

my question is, will my gear ratio be hurting me that much untill I get the $ for the 12 bolt and heads? I want to leave it in that condition untill atleast next spring.

all im really shooting for is to hit 11's with a cam only with my current mods as soon as I get some drag radials. maybe 385rwhp with a good tune would be nice.

other mods I have wating to go on with the cam are: LS6 intake, ported MAF ends (removed my SLP MAF) and Harland Sharp rockers.

Thanks for the tips.
you could be giving up 2-4mph by having 3.73's instead of like 4.56's which them & a properly sized tire should let your run up past 124mph trap speeds if played out right...more than enough for mid to low 11's in an m6 car.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was hoping to stay on DR's not true slicks. am I dreaming?

My current wheels are 19's with 30 series for street trim, but I will be using my stock 17's w/ Nitto DR,s after the cam goes in. I just cant fit much more tire under there do to the fact that Im lowered.

Last edited by shaneSS; 05-26-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I almost forgot. I also have the ASP crankshaft pully too. I will be installing that the same time as my cam. Will these mods net me 390 to 400 rwhp? Not that I care about the dyno run but its a starting point.

My driving has alot to be desired right now as I just went to the track for the first time ever last weekend and made a fool of my self.

Last edited by shaneSS; 05-26-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shaneSS
I was hoping to stay on DR's not true slicks. am I dreaming?

My current wheels are 19's with 30 series for street trim, but I will be using my stock 17's w/ Nitto DR,s after the cam goes in. I just cant fit much more tire under there do to the fact that Im lowered.
Good luck getting any real 60ft with those tires, maybe a 1.7 is what I am seeing most people get at the best. I wish you the best in your quest for cam only 11's, but a 6m with 3.73, I think you are going to need those 4.10's and better tires at least and some decent tuning.

I know someone will chime in here and say their friend did or they did with the same setup with no problem. If you have perfect conditions maybe.

Good Luck
Old 05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is a good 60 with DR's ? 1.6 - 1.8? and what is a good 60 with real slick or atleast ET Streets?

Thanks

Search this Thread