Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Diff Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff Choice

Hey everyone, so ive been trying to figure out which rear I want to buy for my car, got a line on an 01 z28 (and will buy an fbody either way so it doesn't matter) I will be running an LS3 t56 combo() and am looking for a good rearend. Only going to be in the 400-500 whp range, however I want to run a really strong and "drivable" rear. Either a MWC 9 with a wavetrac or a Strange S60 with a true trac. Ive heard a few bad things about true tracs in stick cars(as well as the detroit locker), but ive heard nothing bad about the wavetrac. An thoughts? If I were to get the MWC unit i would also probably go with the watts link, anyone have one installed or driven an f-body with one?
Thanks
Matt
Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Launching!

100 views and nothing?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an s60 with an s-trac. It's strange's version of the true trac and is supposed to be stronger and weighs 8lbs less. It drives just like stock and can handle plenty of power.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I have an s60 with an s-trac. It's strange's version of the true trac and is supposed to be stronger and weighs 8lbs less. It drives just like stock and can handle plenty of power.
How much did your setup cost you?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Wavetrac and strac are two of the best
Old 11-18-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Youngblood16
How much did your setup cost you?
$2900 including a chommolly driveshaft. I sent the backing plates from my 10 bolt in.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youngblood, What issues have you heard about with the M6/truetrac combo? I'm wondering if my S-trac is causing inconsistant part throttle shifting notchiness like I've read a Locker will cause. BTW I love my S60 and think one would be a great choice for you.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Hey everyone, so ive been trying to figure out which rear I want to buy for my car, got a line on an 01 z28 (and will buy an fbody either way so it doesn't matter) I will be running an LS3 t56 combo() and am looking for a good rearend. Only going to be in the 400-500 whp range, however I want to run a really strong and "drivable" rear. Either a MWC 9 with a wavetrac or a Strange S60 with a true trac. Ive heard a few bad things about true tracs in stick cars(as well as the detroit locker), but ive heard nothing bad about the wavetrac. An thoughts? If I were to get the MWC unit i would also probably go with the watts link, anyone have one installed or driven an f-body with one?
Thanks
Matt
If you are considering the watts linked MCW 9, does that mean you are looking for better cornering as well as power handling capability, or are you just looking to cut sub 1.4 60 foots, and drive it hard in a straight line ONLY, like everyone else on here??

If it's the former, the Wavetrac is a better, higher bias diff for turning left and right.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Launching!

$2900 including a chommolly driveshaft. I sent the backing plates from my 10 bolt in.
Is that with a new torque arm and potentially torque arm relocation bracket as well?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
If you are considering the watts linked MCW 9, does that mean you are looking for better cornering as well as power handling capability, or are you just looking to cut sub 1.4 60 foots, and drive it hard in a straight line ONLY, like everyone else on here??

If it's the former, the Wavetrac is a better, higher bias diff for turning left and right.
Yes, i am looking at the wavetrac for its ability to provide power in corners; also, its ability to provide full power to a wheel with traction even if the other is off the ground( 100/0 traction). Also, the fact that its an "install and forget" product backed with a lifetime guarantee makes me feel like they know they've gotten their **** straight and WORKING.(did i mention the lifetime warranty? )

The wavetrac is the reason i want a 9, and the value of an MWC 9 with its snazzy torque arm is phenomenal. I was going to get a quick performance 9(with wavetrac) yet if you add the cost of a new torque arm and bracket to the Quick unit(around 500) its really close to being MWC price. Also, i get discounts on the rest of my rear suspension if i buy a rear (watts link or panhard, lca's).

As to answer your question dailydriver, I will rarely and potentially never take this car to a drag strip. It may see a track with... HOLY ****... TURNS(gasp) and will be daily/street driven. Will definetely be doing street pull though and car cruises/tours so shw will get beaten in a straight line as well. Somewhat high rpm launches as well Seen a couple videos on youtube(couple of f-bodies) where the watts link really tightens up the rear suspension and keeps the rear centered under the car. So in summary for my driving style/needs: turns:yes, performance:yes, drivability:yes, badassness: yes
Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guppymech
Youngblood, What issues have you heard about with the M6/truetrac combo? I'm wondering if my S-trac is causing inconsistant part throttle shifting notchiness like I've read a Locker will cause. BTW I love my S60 and think one would be a great choice for you.
Im unfamiliar with how an s-trac operates and am also at a lack of experience with regards to how they feel/drive/manage power. However, what I do know is that an s-trac is similar to a wavetrac, which is a completely different platform than a locker(familiar, ridden in a few) which can be: clunky, knocky, bangey, make the car lurch etc and that's in an auto car. a locker in a stick car kind of fumbles its way around when the rear is turning and the car isn't in gear, and can be a bitch to get back into gear once in neutral.

The wavetrac is a smooth operating, pure power transferring beast. It feels like it should have been put there from the factory, its that smooth, yet it can hold up to 1000hp and probably more. Stranges S-trac should be a similar product but again i have no experience.

The truetrac is a posi unit that ive heard just doesn't handle the power very well and simply fails, as in the posi doesn't work and you have a peg leg rear. So in regards to the truetrac issue, it was more about them breaking/ not having positive traction capabilities after a few high rpm/high drivetrain shock launches.

Can you describe your issue a little more thouroughly I may be able to help...

Yeah i recommended an S60 to my friend (Juiced2002) he has an install thread on here, it was a cheaper alternative to a 9 or 12 bolt(we were both in high school, im now in college so money is still tight) which he got with the locker, which is where my locker "experience" comes from. I like the S60 platform yet really want the performance of the wavetrac (not offered in an S60(yet)).

Last edited by Youngblood16; 11-19-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Launching!

ALSO, another key point i keep forgetting is the MWC unit comes with brake line holding clips, parking brake cable holders etc where as the S60/ quick perf 9 does not. This car will be a daily and I am currently at WVU in Morgantown, yet i live in Fairfax, VA. If any of you have ever been through Morgantown, you would know I REALLY need a parking brake, Fairfax not so much but its a nice thing to have on a stick car. And the cable holders and brake line clips cut down on vehicle down time that would be required to fab them for the other units
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Launching!

**** daily, didn't realize you were in Bucks County. My troop went to Ockanickon every other summer.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Is that with a new torque arm and potentially torque arm relocation bracket as well?
No its not. I already had a UMI torque arm and relocation bracket before buying mt s60. I had to make a couple of cuts on the torque arm to make it fit.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

My S60 came with brake line clips, a threaded hole for the brake line tee and e-brake mounting points. The S60 S-trac is a helical gear posi like a truetrac only stronger. My shifting issues aren't a big deal, I just thought you might've run across some new info other than truetracs breaking.
Even though you don't plan on going to the strip, with your estimated power on DRs a upgraded rear is a good idea.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Launching!

No its not. I already had a UMI torque arm and relocation bracket before buying mt s60. I had to make a couple of cuts on the torque arm to make it fit.

So that puts you at around 3500... for 500 dollars more (im at around 4000 with the options i want with an mwc unit) the lifetime warrenty the wavetrac is calling my name.
Just to clarify, I have no objections towards the S60 casting, ring gear strength etc. Its just the differential itself im worried about.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guppymech
My S60 came with brake line clips, a threaded hole for the brake line tee and e-brake mounting points. The S60 S-trac is a helical gear posi like a truetrac only stronger. My shifting issues aren't a big deal, I just thought you might've run across some new info other than truetracs breaking.
Even though you don't plan on going to the strip, with your estimated power on DRs a upgraded rear is a good idea.
what kind of issues are you having exactly?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

what kind of issues are you having exactly?
Notchy shifting about half the time, normal driving. Shifts smooth under power. It's probably just the 125k miles. Going to change the trans fluid to GM manual trans fluid in the spring.
The backlash in a Locker causes manual trans shifting issues, backlash on my S60 is nil.

Last edited by guppymech; 11-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

So that puts you at around 3500... for 500 dollars more (im at around 4000 with the options i want with an mwc unit) the lifetime warrenty the wavetrac is calling my name.
Just to clarify, I have no objections towards the S60 casting, ring gear strength etc. Its just the differential itself im worried about.
The s-trac has a lifetime warranty as well... have you talked to anyone about the strenght of the s-trac?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Not really nope, tbh i just assumed it was a knockoff, but i was going to look into it.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Choice