General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wrong radiator install!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong radiator install!

so i noticed a small leak a while ago and ordered a new radiator just in case it developed into a problem. Well the radiator finally cracked so i installed the new one today and it looked just like the oem fit and hooked in just like it. when i went to install the hoses found a problem it doesnt have the 2nd hose barb under the radiator cap to put the crossover hookup. I bypassed it for now by capping off the crossover line but im wondering if this will cause any problems. I know my other cars didnt have this line so im hoping its ok to just cap it but want to know if this is going to cause any problems.

forgot to include its a 98 z28 m6

Last edited by Gapimpin; 11-24-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry man, i must have been drunk posting this original garbage. Yes you need it if the line is coming from the heads, you can tap the water pump housing and run it there, i did this on my turbo build.

Last edited by jrpimp00; 12-06-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: drunk rant
Old 11-28-2014, 01:29 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The coolant flowing out of the heads is what is used to go through the TB........but its nice to have the lines coming right off the heads run over to that port under the radiator cap to flow hot coolant out of the heads and into the radiator for cooling......otherwise you will have hot coolant just sitting in those passages and they will never flow anywhere to cool down......

My TB is bypassed.....but I still have coolant running from the heads to the radiator port for flow....

Old 11-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Launching!

if your talking about the small line that comes from the head, that is a steam line, it needs to be hooked up, without it air bubbles could form in the head and bang...

Quick Reply: wrong radiator install!