Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

checking backlash

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking backlash

i dont have a dial gauge. a veteran mechanic told me he checks gear backlash with a digital caliper. he puts one end on the very top of the housing and the other end on a ring gear bolt, rock it up and down, then subtract the distance and you have your backlash. do you think thats an ok method or is it better to use a dial gauge?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There is a ton of write ups with pictures, just Google it because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...
Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderlsx
i dont have a dial gauge. a veteran mechanic told me he checks gear backlash with a digital caliper. he puts one end on the very top of the housing and the other end on a ring gear bolt, rock it up and down, then subtract the distance and you have your backlash. do you think thats an ok method or is it better to use a dial gauge?
The caliper will work if you keep it parallel with the ground and get the reading from the highest point on the ring gear. Basically run all the slack out in one direction and set the caliper then rotate the ring gear all the way in the other direction until it stops and that's the backlash amount.

Quick Reply: checking backlash