Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Disappointed! Need to reduce noise in a Moser 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Disappointed! Need to reduce noise in a Moser 12 bolt?

I bought a used Moser 12 bolt so I am not looking to Moser for anything. I have a really nice car and I mostly street drive it but want to be able to take it to the track and rack off some ten second passes. I have read for quite some time and it seems to me that there are a lot of people out there with Moser 12 bolts that don't make a bunch of noise and quite a few that do make noise. 12 bolt rearends have been in cars for many years that don't make noise so it should be quite possible. Mine is 4.10 gears and a Trutrac posi unit. It howls when I am cruising at steady throttle. I have read several peoples claims that the ring and pinion was set up really crappy from Moser. Some with some really fast cars. Others claim that it is just the nature of beast with a 12 bolt. I am going to hope the sloppy set up is the culprit. Does anyone have suggestions on who makes the quietest gear sets and if going to a 3.73 will quite this thing down? I have built four or five ten bolts with great results so I feel confident about doing this one. I am mostly looking for some pointers. Thanks for any advise.

Last edited by codyvette; 12-09-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably need to replace the gears. Seems to be a common issue with Moser 12 bolts.
Info...http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm
Old 12-09-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.justdifferentials.com/mob....aspx?id=40252

Anybody used these. They claim to be made like O.E. gears for quiet operation.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im getting ready to rebuild my 12 bolt. btw I have a 10 sec street car and I exploded my posi on the street going into second. so you might want to plan for a wave loc or a spool in the future. im reading you should use a solid pinion spacer over a crush collar as well to help with the pinion deflection. im going to try motive gears first (4.10) and see how the gear noise is. IMO they should be quiet from the start if its not beat on. after some hard launches with stickey tires and 400 + rwhp I can see having gear noise. so if you have noise to begin with, the gear set isn't set up correctly or its how the gear is cut from the manufacture(pro gears usually have howl). the crap I read from people saying the TA transfers noise into the car is false IMO( to a certain degree). does a 10 bolt transfer gear noise right off the show room floor? the point people try to get across is if you want a STRONG 12 bolt, you're going to going to have to live with some noise because of how the stronger (pro gears) are cut. the gear set you put up a link to sounds pretty good actually but I haven't heard anything about them until now. I myself would like a quieter gear set since I don't see the drag strip as much as I used to. the problem for me is I don't know who makes a quiet set that's stronger than stock.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Motive blue box have always setup quiet for me. Also, body mounted torque arms transmit a lot of noise also but are required when you want to launch hard.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Motive blue box have always setup quiet for me. Also, body mounted torque arms transmit a lot of noise also but are required when you want to launch hard.
+1
Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Sell it and buy a fab 9 from Mwc. That's what I did . A lot stronger, Im running the s trac posi
Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A properly setup 12 bolt will be as quiet as any other properly setup rear.

The problem most people have is their rears aren't setup properly, even from the manufacturers. I have a Moser M9 in one of my cars. I ordered it complete from Moser. I could bearly turn the pinion when I received it. I took it to a shop I trust to check it out. It was set up wrong.

The point is just because they build them doesn't mean they get it right every time.

So keep your 12 bolt. Get some new gears and find someone that knows what they are doing to set it up.

Then have some fun.

Good Luck.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

I have the body mount torque arm also. I've been wondering If I could take some hard rubber between the crossmount and body to absorb the noise. But not sure what that will do as far as performance.
Was thinking maybe baler belt or something
Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
I have the body mount torque arm also. I've been wondering If I could take some hard rubber between the crossmount and body to absorb the noise. But not sure what that will do as far as performance.
Was thinking maybe baler belt or something
Its been a while but i can remember a few years back there were some discussions on exactly this. I do believe a few members sandwiched some thick rubber between the bracket and the body and were successful in reducing the noise and vibration. You would have to search back for the details though, as I never myself tried it.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Its been a while but i can remember a few years back there were some discussions on exactly this. I do believe a few members sandwiched some thick rubber between the bracket and the body and were successful in reducing the noise and vibration. You would have to search back for the details though, as I never myself tried it.
sweet! I will search and try to find it.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

sweet! I will search and try to find it.
Let us know what you find.................
Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Let us know what you find.................
Found a couple posts , the conversation wondered to the rubber. One guy said it helped his noise. I'm going to cut a piece of baler belt and try it. It's hard rubber .

Here is the post I found. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/947872-umi-adjustable-torque-arm-installed-strange-noises.html
Old 12-28-2014, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Sell it and buy a fab 9 from Mwc. That's what I did . A lot stronger, Im running the s trac posi

Is it dead quiet despite the noise some say a 9" HAS TO HAVE due to the way/where the pinion hits the ring gear??
Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Yes they do......but there is a fix. I bought a ridetech threaded bushing. It's the same thread as the rod end on my fab 9. You have to rebend the bracket but it cures alot of noise.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

I rebuilt my moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears and it was quiet for many street miles until I launched it at the track with 5500 rpm clutch dumps and Hoosier QTP bias tires. Now it howls badly on decel. I switched to auto now and I plan to install 3.55 gears this spring. We will see how it does with an auto and radials
Old 12-29-2014, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Yes they do......but there is a fix. I bought a ridetech threaded bushing. It's the same thread as the rod end on my fab 9. You have to rebend the bracket but it cures alot of noise.

Do all of the drag race sanctioning bodies, and tracks require a drive shaft loop even on rides with a carbon fiber/composite drive shaft??

I thought that they ALWAYS "broom" when they let go, and CANNOT 'pogo' the car at all?
Old 12-29-2014, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I got the stuff used so it is what it is. I almost cut it off but i figured i would be better off making a new one without a ds loop. Just haven't did it yet.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info guys. It will be a bit before I get to this but I will report back. I am going to rebuild it myself for I have had success in the past. I will also try the rubber pad thing and FatMat the inside of my car.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

So how did this cure the noise is it a rubber bushing?? Can you post the link where you purchased it? It looks like the bolt is hitting the body.

Quick Reply: Disappointed! Need to reduce noise in a Moser 12 bolt?