Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem at Track Last Nite, Ideas Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big Problem at Track Last Nite, Ideas Needed!

Ok so I took her to the track last nite. Car ran like a raped ape, grabbed a new best by several tenths, but here's the bad news.

On my last pass I launched it at prolly 6800 rpm and I didn't know it but I was a crop duster right outta the hole, my dad said it started smoking right away and was smoking bad when i hit the shutdown. That turned out to be oil spraying on the passenger side header.

So I take it to the pit and park it. Look under there and there is oil dipping down at a good pace from the vent in the bottom of the bellhousing. It stops within 2 minutes of the car being parked. I put it up and get under there and there is oil freakin everywhere. Bellhousing is covered, trans is covered, passenger side header collector, underbody covered.

Here's where it gets messed up. ZERO oil in the engine bay, top of motor, K frame, fenders..basically nothing foward of the bellhousing.

I led the car idle and stayed under it for a few minutes watching, and nothing dripped again. BTW, oil pressure NEVER dropped, not during the pass, after it, or on the ride home.

Checked the oil and it seemed like it was overfilled..was way past the full mark on the dip stick..I don't get that because I change my oil obviously and am not a moron, I wouldn't overfill it.

Basically I'm stumped, I can't figure out how there could be this much oil blown all over the damn place, with the problem seeming to have originated on the passenger side(much worse on this side, and hit the header) and have had it coming out of the bellhousing vent when I parked it.

I suspected maybe the dipstick tube but that doesn't explain how it got in the bellhousing like it did.

I'm going to investigate it tonite, but I'm just not sure where to start other than pulling the intake off to get a better view of the back topside of the motor.

I really hope its just something stupid and all I have is a huge mess on my hands to clean up. Car drove home like nothign happened, perfect oil pressure, normal idle and driving manners, sounded fine.

Please help
Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

That happened to me once, in my case I had a small leak in my tranny pan gasket. Some ATF fluid would drip/spray on my header and smoke could be seen. I would park the car in idle and no smoke.

I would check around your headers and look for something that might have dripped on there, it would have to me either ATF or oil.

Good luck man, btw congrats on the new bestr what did you run?

Lee
Old 05-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Motorboater

Thanks Lee, I am keeping the times somewhat secret until north vs south, its nothing crazy at all, its just not at full potential yet, still shakedown.

P.M me if you wanna know how it ran
Old 05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had oil issues like that when the rear main seal went
Old 05-27-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check all fluids, is power streeing, brake, tranny and motor. you should be able to see where came from after checking all of those. if its m6 check the hyd. fluid also could be busted slave or something.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Motorboater

i'm almost positive its oil. i have no power steering.

the trans fluid is like brand new, no way it would be brown already, and this felt and smelled like oil.

the dipstick tube wasn't bolted to the head, i lost the bolt and didn't replace it. a few people have told me at this point the same **** happened to them when their dipstick wasn't bolted in.

if it was rear main seal in theory my clutch should be slipping bad as it would get oiled down..and far as i can tell the clutch is fine.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

The dipstick idea does make sense.

High RPM causes some crankcase pressure, acceleration causes the dipstick hole to be surronded by oil, semi-loose seal, pressure blows out oil rather than crankcase blow-by.

Good luck Sean!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a freeze plug come out the back of my lunati crank and shoot oil everywhere. Yours seems a lot more likely to be the dip stick though.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

I had a pcv valve stick, and the throttle body hose was pinched. Did the exact same thing as you described, shot oil out of the dipstick tube. Scared the **** out of me seeing a plume of smoke like that.

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 05-27-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Motorboater

thanks guys..you're giving me hope that its just the dipstick