Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock crank pully re-install help

Old 05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock crank pully re-install help

I pulled my stock pully to do a rollmaster double roller timing chain and I can't get the stock pully back on. I used the instructions on LS1howto but it says to use the stock bolt and then crank it back on. My problem is I can't get the pully far enough on to get the bolt to start to thread so that I can use the bolt to pull it back on.

mike
Old 05-27-2004, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Do not use the factory bolt to begin pulling a pulley on, you chance stripping your crank threads doing it that way.

I purchased one of those pulley installation bolt kits from a member on this site (see tools forum) and it works excellent. Basically a threaded rod, some washers, and a nut. You screw the rod all the way in, and use the nut/washers to pull the pulley back onto the crank.

Tony
Old 05-27-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Tony is right,
Do NOT pull it on with the old bolt..... ya ya many have done it, many have changed cams with out JRP rods, or pen mags too.... but do you want to be that one person that it went oops on!

I helped a buddy this past weekend do a cam install, I used the larry spring tool.SWEET.

I also used the tool tony referred to for the pulley. SWEET also.

"IF" you can find it, there is a longer crank bolt you can get a napa,
16mm / 2.0 thread pitch and 120mm in length.
Part# 2801-225 cost is about 6.00

NOW the problem I had, I could never find a store that had it. Which is why I got the treaded rod tool.

But you may not be able to wait for the tool to ship, so that is why I also gave you the above info.

Good luck,

Pete
Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was having the same problem when installing my Fisher pulley. I made my own installer, worked fine.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the M16/120mm/2.0mm bolt from mcmaster.com and a big washer to pull it on this last time. Worked fine, and it threaded in plenty of turns so i wasn't worried about stripping the threads.

Search this Thread