Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

return line question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default return line question

I have a dumb question? (When won't I) I have a 98 ls1 from a camaro,that's going on my nova, now this engine has a return line from the rails. My question is can is plug the return? I will be using corvette fuel filter that has the return on it. Would there be any problems? Issues or concerns I should have?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same question. I have a 5.3 and wanna run the vette filter and keep my stock rails can I cap the return and remove the vacuum from the regulator.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Certainly.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Certainly.
Will there be any issues if I do?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by on a bugdet
Will there be any issues if I do?
No why would you? all the newer corvettes and fbodies don't use a return. The only issue I know of is the tune for a non return system is different because the power enrichment is done with the injector pulse.

With the vacuum operated pressure regulator the fuel pressure rises on low vacuum.
So you would use 99 up corvette tune Or a 99 up fbody tune.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Teching In

No why would you? all the newer corvettes and fbodies don't use a return. The only issue I know of is the tune for a non return system is different because the power enrichment is done with the injector pulse.

With the vacuum operated pressure regulator the fuel pressure rises on low vacuum.
So you would use 99 up corvette tune Or a 99 up fbody tune.
Thank you.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

one more question??? if im running the fast ez efi ls2.0 and it askes do I have a return style system, do I say yes cause the vette filter has the return in it or no. also will the fast system still be able to do the self tune since it doesn't use vacuum for fuel inrichment.

thanks for your help
Old 12-19-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No why would you? all the newer corvettes and f-bodies don't use a return. The only issue I know of is the tune for a non return system is different because the power enrichment is done with the injector pulse.

So you would use 99 up corvette tune Or a 99 up f-body tune.
The tune is different, but it's actually just the injector calibration data...with a return and vacuum referenced regulator the pressure across the injectors is always the same...always 58 PSI across the injectors. With a return-less system, there's 58 PSI in the line, but the pressure below the injector changes...so the injectors become larger with more vacuum.

The only actual change necessary in the tune is in the injector flow rate table, as well as the offset table that references manifold pressure.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by x275radial
one more question??? if im running the fast ez efi ls2.0 and it askes do I have a return style system, do I say yes cause the vette filter has the return in it or no. also will the fast system still be able to do the self tune since it doesn't use vacuum for fuel inrichment.

thanks for your help
If you're running the Corvette system, say no, that's technically return-less because it always puts 58 PSI at the rails, regardless of the engine vacuum.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all your help and clearing that up for me. I'm a carb guy switching to the efi world.

Quick Reply: return line question