Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Fitting size for 10-bolt vent

Old 12-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fitting size for 10-bolt vent

I found a thread on replacing the rear vent with a pipe thread/nipple fitting to add a vent line. I didn't bookmark the thread and for the life of me can't find it again with multiple searches.

I'm looking for fitting size that works well in the stock 10-bolt vent hole. My plan is to run a vent line to either a small filter or catch can.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I use 1/4 npt
7th pic in the thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...rend-my-z.html
Old 12-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Perfect, thanks! Was the hole the proper diameter or did you have to drill it prior to tapping?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

did it on 3 rearend housings so far,did not have to drill. 1/4 NPT requires a 7/16 drill,which,based on memory,the existing hole is or close to that size. The tap is difficult to start straight in line with the hole as the hole is not perpendicular to the surface where the hole is located. Also,iron/steel casting is difficult to tap. You can't force the tap in as in a normal tapping operation,in a little then back out,in a little then back out. have the fitting you're gonna use on hand to test the tapping depth.

I just ran the tubing to panhard bar.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks again for the great info.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

I did not even bother to tap/thread mine (was afraid of some shavings getting into the housing, despite the tap supposedly pulling them out in the other direction).

I just used a hammer to kind of swage it into the housing pumpkin and ran a hose clamped line out over the axle, pointing down.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I did not even bother to tap/thread mine (was afraid of some shavings getting into the housing, despite the tap supposedly pulling them out in the other direction).

I just used a hammer to kind of swage it into the housing pumpkin and ran a hose clamped line out over the axle, pointing down.
Bingo. This works well. Personally, I took the stock plastic vent, popped the head off it. Ran a drill through it to enlarge the passage, put it into the housing with a dab of gear oil-proof RTV, and ran a 3/8in line to a puke can mounted on my watts link. Holds up to plenty of road course thrashings.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. However, I'm pulling the diff anyway so it won't be a big deal to run a tap through while it's out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fitting size for 10-bolt vent