General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlights flicker when going down the highway...voltage stays the same

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights flicker when going down the highway...voltage stays the same

When driving at night down the highway, I notice that every so often my lights are flickering on and off. I can't tell if it is the low beams or the headlights themself, but I'm wondering what could cause this. Rarely, my stereo will also cut off and back on when I'm driving as well. The voltage meter doesn't seem to be moving so I'm wondering if it's an alternator, or battery.

I've also noticed sometimes when I pop up the headlights, the left one will be off but if I tap it with my hand it'll come on. Not sure about this one either.

Thanks in advance for your time. Hope everyone get's new car parts from Santa this year
Old 12-23-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

flickering on/off or shaking? I make this distinction because sometimes the arms that control the lift/close of the headlights get loose where they meet the headlight that causes the vibration of the car to translate into the headlights, this is most commonly seen when driving past a road sign.

I would suggest checking the grounds and other connections on the headlights, odds are that is where the flicker issue would come from, if it was a voltage issue they would dim not flicker and would probably do so at idle when pumping the brake pedal.

the stereo has to do with the BCM issue https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html for me it started with the occasional radio cutting off and back on then started doing that and the windows not working (most common way it presents) and would go back and forth, sometimes only the radio would cut off and the windows still work other times both went at the same time, did the solder fix more then a month and a half ago and haven't had the radio cut out once since.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's one to look at: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ng-lights.html
Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

i recently read on here that if ur radio intermittently cuts on and off and some have issues with there windows as well that a connection in ur bcm has came loose and need to be re soldered. the flickering could be the sucky wires gm used for the grounds and positive cables id recommend doing the big three,thats on here as well.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by trey0153
the flickering could be the sucky wires gm
Nothing is wrong with the wires. Do you expect that over 20+ years, there should be no corrosion on them? Do Ferrari wires last longer? Are they better?

Stock car's don't need any modification or work other than normal maintenance. If you are going to race or rice, then you may have different needs.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

well theres plenty posts on here about the so called wires causing issues and people doing the big three and prob goes away,wires get old and brittle just like any other parts just cause there stock dont make them gold.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Save the manuals!

well theres plenty posts on here about the so called wires causing issues
Don't believe everything you read on internet.

people doing the big three and prob goes away
Bigger wires don't fix the root cause of the problem. They inadvertently solve it by the simple replacement (ie: A stock-for-stock replacement would do the same thing; removing corrosion, tightening contacts, etc.) or the bigger wires/lower resistance mask the problem from being visible.

wires get old and brittle just like any other parts
Where does that information come from? Stranded wire doesn't get "brittle" and cracked insulation is not the cause of this issue. (BTW - That issue is for much older cars.)
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2Sick
When driving at night down the highway, I notice that every so often my lights are flickering on and off. I can't tell if it is the low beams or the headlights themself, but I'm wondering what could cause this. Rarely, my stereo will also cut off and back on when I'm driving as well. The voltage meter doesn't seem to be moving so I'm wondering if it's an alternator, or battery.

I've also noticed sometimes when I pop up the headlights, the left one will be off but if I tap it with my hand it'll come on. Not sure about this one either.

Thanks in advance for your time. Hope everyone get's new car parts from Santa this year
Is your AIR system still hooked up? If it is then what you are seeing is the AIR pump turning on as you drive. PCM does this to test certain things as you drive. Every fbody I've owned does it.

Quick Reply: Headlights flicker when going down the highway...voltage stays the same