General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Huge power steering leak!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Huge power steering leak!

Hey guys I've been having a slow leak out of one of my hoses but as its Christmas season my money was spent on gifts, groceries and gas for traveling to see family. So, I was ignoring the leak until the holidays passed. But today at work I found a huge puddle under my car, found that it was power steering fluid. But this was coming out of the boot on the passenger side of the rack and pinion. So I'm guessing I have a blown seal. My questions are is there an aftermarket replacement rack and pinion that is better than factory that you guys would recommend or should I just stick with factory? And for factory should I just order it from a parts store? I'm thinking about doing the cooling system that is stickied here too but I need to figure out how much this is going to run me first. Thanks guys.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Huge power steering leak!-20141228_010003.jpg

Huge power steering leak!-20141228_010012.jpg
Old 12-28-2014, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched and searched and NO ONE offers a quicker ratio, road race style rack for our cars that does not entail a complete, tube framed rebuild of the front clip!

Most just go with a new (IF you can find one), or remanned AC Delco rack (from Rock Auto/GM Parts Direct/etc.), or have their factory rack rebuilt by either The Rack Doctors, or Turn One Performance (IF they can afford the down time on their not daily driver toys ).
Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I've searched and searched and NO ONE offers a quicker ratio, road race style rack for our cars that does not entail a complete, tube framed rebuild of the front clip!

Most just go with a new (IF you can find one), or remanned AC Delco rack (from Rock Auto/GM Parts Direct/etc.), or have their factory rack rebuilt by either The Rack Doctors, or Turn One Performance (IF they can afford the down time on their not daily driver toys ).
Thanks for the reply man! That is unfortunate that there isn't a good aftermarket product. I guess I'll see if any dealers can get one or see if rock auto has any. I don't have the luxury of time to have my car down for weeks to wait for it to be rebuilt. Mine is driven 7 days a week.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oreillys says they have a master pro for $252.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced my stock rack this past summer with one I got from rock auto. I paid like $80 after the core and its been fine ever since. IIRC there are 2 different part numbers so make sure you get the right one. At the same time I repalced the pressure line since it was cheap and has to come off anyway.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys. So RackDoctor has Rack and Pinion setup for my car with FE2 suspension with new inner tie rods, new outer tie rods, lifetime warranty and a 65 dollar core charge for my old one. And they will send me a return shipping label. That's around $291 but once I send my current R&P to them I'll get $65 back so it will be around $230. Then the high pressure hose I can get from Oriellys for around $29.99. The low pressure hose is discontinued so I'm going to have to either take it to NAPA and have them duplicate it or try to fix it myself. Since it's the low pressure side it won't be too much of a problem. If anyone has tackled this before and has any tips of heads ups please let me know. Thanks guys!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...placement.html

I'll be doing my entire system when the weather warms up in the spring,too cold here by Lake Erie.
A Rack Doctor rack has been sitting in the garage since May of 2013,had to replace the high pressure line in November of 2013,yet to order a TurnOne pump(mines been screaming for about a month now,tried the DexronVI fix to reduce the noise,didn't work,added an ounce of rearend gear lube and the screaming was reduced),got the KD 2897 pulley puller and installer set,looked at the 'troublesome'rack bolt for how to attack it.

Last edited by FirstYrLS1Z; 01-01-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Alright guys. So RackDoctor has Rack and Pinion setup for my car with FE2 suspension with new inner tie rods, new outer tie rods, lifetime warranty and a 65 dollar core charge for my old one. And they will send me a return shipping label. That's around $291 but once I send my current R&P to them I'll get $65 back so it will be around $230. Then the high pressure hose I can get from Oriellys for around $29.99. The low pressure hose is discontinued so I'm going to have to either take it to NAPA and have them duplicate it or try to fix it myself. Since it's the low pressure side it won't be too much of a problem. If anyone has tackled this before and has any tips of heads ups please let me know. Thanks guys!
IMO you don't need to replace the low pressure hose unless you want to. I didn't and it's fine with the original one on there. While the rack is out it would be smart to put new tie rod ends on, and try to get your alignment as close as possible even tho you'll probably need one after you put it back in.

You'll probably have to cut the bolt on the driver side that holds the rack in place because it hits the oil pan and won't come out. I replaced that bolt after I cut it and put it in upside down.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...placement.html

I'll be doing my entire system when the weather warms up in the spring,too cold here by Lake Erie.
A Rack Doctor rack has been sitting in the garage since May of 2013,had to replace the high pressure line in November of 2013,yet to order a TurnOne pump(mines been screaming for about a month now,tried the DexronVI fix to reduce the noise,didn't work,added an ounce of rearend gear lube and the screaming was reduced),got the KD 2897 pulley puller and installer set,looked at the 'troublesome'rack bolt for how to attack it.
Thanks for the link man! Yeah I'm going to try and do this all at once because my car is my daily. I'm going to have to look into a new pump too. Might just do it all haha! Depends on how much they cost. My pump only makes noise when it's low on fluid which is occurring a couple days after I top it off. But as soon as I hear it I fill it back up.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjs1012
IMO you don't need to replace the low pressure hose unless you want to. I didn't and it's fine with the original one on there. While the rack is out it would be smart to put new tie rod ends on, and try to get your alignment as close as possible even tho you'll probably need one after you put it back in.

You'll probably have to cut the bolt on the driver side that holds the rack in place because it hits the oil pan and won't come out. I replaced that bolt after I cut it and put it in upside down.
Thanks for the tips man! I'm going to replace mine because it's leaking as well. Just old hoses and seals finally letting go. I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. And the new R&P from rack doctor will come with new inner and outer tie rods!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to do mine by myself as well, but I need to change the motor mounts anyway, so the engine has to be raised regardless, and I don't have the tools/facilities to do that, so might as well have a shop do it all at once and avoid the bolt decapitation.

Quick Reply: Huge power steering leak!