Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift kit and tm/line pressure settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default shift kit and tm/line pressure settings

So im doing a motor/3.73 gear swap to my 99 camaro and figure its prime time to order and install a pro built automatics transgo/sonnax hybrid shift kit,ill also be installing my pt4400 converter..My buddy is going to tune the motor for me (ls1 sbe,243s,235/247 112+4 cam,ls6 intake,ported tb deal) i know im going to have and go in and edit the trans stuff.

the top sticky def helps alot but im wondering what should i do for the tq management settings and if i should have him mod the pressure settings..im thinking leave the lp stock seeing i know ill be modding the internal pressure with the shift kit but this being my first 4l60e im doing im just wondering what most do here for the tm an lp settings.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You might ask Dana what he recommends with his shift kit, but since the larger boost valve will increase line pressure across the board, it probably is not necessary to change the line pressure in the tune. Lots of people here eliminate torque management. IMHO, a high stall converter softens the connection between drivetrain and engine, which reduces the impact during shifts and therefore reduces the need for torque management. Still torque management may increase the life of your trans.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delete torque management and run stock pressure. Start there and see how you like it.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i figured the lp wouldnt need changing seeing im doing it internally,the tm is what im really wondering some say delete it and some say reduce it and some say leave it
Old 01-01-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have an awesome trans tune that will work well for you. PM me an email and i will shoot it over and have your buddy look at it.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

sent info..my buddys saying leave tm stock and i see pba site says delete it..
Old 01-01-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like I said in the PM, delete it. Its been gone since my tuner first tuned mine 7 years ago. I sold my stock 100k mile trans, buddy has put another 50k on it and it still wont die! My built trans has the same trans tune also. Just tuned my Yukon with the same settings (less rpm on the shifts obviously) and it has 190k. Wow, the shifts are amazing, crisp and precise, the way they should have been from the factory. I originally only deleted about half the TM on the Yukon but about two weeks ago took the rest out, very nice improvement. I wont be running TM ever again.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:25 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

DO NOT play the pressure settings in the computer as the kit is setup for what you need. You should put a 0-300psi. pressure gauge on it to make "sure" that you have the right pressure at WOT. You should strive for 235 - 240psi. at WOT in manual "1" & "2". If the pressure is down (rarely too much) then the EPC solenoid (force motor) will have to be adjusted accordingly. I used to tell people to eliminate torque management, but not any more once I saw how little it affected performance at the drag strip. The two people who informed me on how little a difference it made at the drags found that it affected the performance approximately 1/10th & 1 mph for both of them. One vehicle was in the 11's the other 12's. It does help with the transmission living longer that is for sure. Some have been removing 50% and that seems to be ok. Only time will tell on this, but I think that leaving some if not all of it in, does not affect performance as once thought.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PBA
DO NOT play the pressure settings in the computer as the kit is setup for what you need. You should put a 0-300psi. pressure gauge on it to make "sure" that you have the right pressure at WOT. You should strive for 235 - 240psi. at WOT in manual "1" & "2". If the pressure is down (rarely too much) then the EPC solenoid (force motor) will have to be adjusted accordingly. I used to tell people to eliminate torque management, but not any more once I saw how little it affected performance at the drag strip. The two people who informed me on how little a difference it made at the drags found that it affected the performance approximately 1/10th & 1 mph for both of them. One vehicle was in the 11's the other 12's. It does help with the transmission living longer that is for sure. Some have been removing 50% and that seems to be ok. Only time will tell on this, but I think that leaving some if not all of it in, does not affect performance as once thought.
I'm going to have to disagree. When you can FEEL the vehicle shut off the throttle and go into TM mode, it will affect performance. On my stock Trailblazer SS the TM was extreme, it would literally close the throttle for what felt like a full second on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.
It likely doesn't have as profound of an effect on a cable throttle operated vehicle but it damn sure affects a fly-by-wire.

Some vehicles will also need line pressure tuning as MANDATORY.
You cannot have a blanket statement that because a transmission has a shift kit, the line pressure tables need to be left stock.
Line pressure MUST follow power output.
Many times one a modded combo the power output changes drastically from stock and is no longer even close to linear to the TPS.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have no hard data, but going from TM, to 50% reduced, to completely eliminated all changed shift feel quite noticeably. While it may or may not help performance to eliminate it, the satisfaction of the tune plays a part for most people, and I really enjoy feeling a nice, firm shift, so i will continue to delete it, and recommend deleting it but would never assume it makes your car any faster or slower to do so.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I'm going to have to disagree. When you can FEEL the vehicle shut off the throttle and go into TM mode, it will affect performance. On my stock Trailblazer SS the TM was extreme, it would literally close the throttle for what felt like a full second on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.
It likely doesn't have as profound of an effect on a cable throttle operated vehicle but it damn sure affects a fly-by-wire.

Some vehicles will also need line pressure tuning as MANDATORY.
You cannot have a blanket statement that because a transmission has a shift kit, the line pressure tables need to be left stock.
Line pressure MUST follow power output.
Many times one a modded combo the power output changes drastically from stock and is no longer even close to linear to the TPS.
heres a run down of my car what do you recommended jake?

Car is a street strip n/a deal with some weight reduction
Motor specs
Sbe ls1
Ported stock tb
85mm maf
Ls6 intake
42lb innjectors
243s for 10.6-1 comp
235/247,112+4 cam
Custom 4" cold air setup threw front bumper
1 7/8th headers

Trans
Stock 4l60e
Pt4400 stall
Aftermarket trans cooler
Truck pan

Rear
10 bolt with 3.73s and 325/50/15 e.t radials
Old 01-04-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any pics of your intake setup?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have not made it yet,doing it when i do motor,trans,rear,k mem swap and abs/hvac delete....but heres a thread to give u a idea of what it will be..just mine will have a 45° in the middle of the two 90°s so it puts it in the grill opening on the camaros..ill have it where the bottom 90 can separate right above the bend that attaches to the 45 so for street driving a filter will be tossed their and still pull some air from the opening but not have to worry about sucking up water..trackill attach the bend back and ill have a 6" velocity stack on the other end sitting in the inlet for a true ram air effect..the 4" alum piping is 95$ off ebay and velocity stack is another 40$..i already have a filter i can use..but even if not another 20$ at autozone or ebay and your good..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ke-system.html
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, yeah I will be making one just like that I think........
Old 01-07-2015, 07:12 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I should have made it clear on the statement "DO NOT play the pressure settings in the computer as the kit is setup for what you need." This recommendation is with my modified 4L60E TransGo Performance Shift kits. If the pressures are correct (235 - 245psi. at WOT) when checking with a 0 - 300psi gauge, I have never found it necessary to up the pressure at part to medium throttle. If the person desires to make it firmer at part throttle, that is his option. This (I hope) should clear things up.

Quick Reply: shift kit and tm/line pressure settings