Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SS Hood + Xenon Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SS Hood + Xenon Body Kit

Was thinking of adding both to my 2000 triple black Z-28.

Wondering if its going to sabotage performance due to the added weight, or is it not really all that much of a difference.

All I have is SLP lid and SLP LM. Will be that way for awhile.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought an SS hood from ASCD and it was a hell of a lot lighter than my stock hood. The ground effects are kinda hefty but if you want that look you'll have to live with it. I think it's worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

Hood yes, because the stock one looks boring and is made out of heavy crap.
Ground Effects? Hell no! Those look horrible, at least the Xenon one does.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Bad Blu.....the xenon kit is way too ricey....but that is just my opinion......but go for the hood.....either that or a SLP ultra Z hood....I think they look good.....
Old 05-28-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Do the SS Hood only the Body Kit will give trouble later on.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

What kind of trouble, I have the GM stock body kit and have never had a problem. I would say go for it but get the GM body kit, the Xenon is to ricey. I added the SS hood from www.glasstek.com and I love it! Pics in my sig.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have both on my Z28 - (RKSport SS Hood, Xenon front/side gfx) although I am in the process of switching to the Wings West front clip. I got tired of the Xenon front pretty fast, looks good from some angles (especially the side) but since it covers half the nose it does change the lines of the car more than some other kits. Just be sure you really love the Xenon look before you do it, or you'll end up like me wasting money on another kit!!! Plenty of pics on my site below, I'll send you more if you need em.

good luck.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

^^^^ yep, thats what im doing. i got front and side skirts that are pretty subtle abd my friend ripped off part of the front piece so im going to go with a wings west one after MANY hours of searching. thing is the wings west one will be more aggressive than my sides and back shirts so i will have to see how it looks, but i think i'll love it. i hate the xenon one because the front clip has 2 different pieces that just STOP, straight down, looks like ****.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you all for your replys, however NONE of you have answered my question. Will the added weight of the body kit hurt performance or is it minimal?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
Thank you all for your replys, however NONE of you have answered my question. Will the added weight of the body kit hurt performance or is it minimal?
Ok like he said, get the shipping weight of the Xenon kit and see if it exceeds the weight you'll lose due to the fiberglass hood. I'm guessing it's a fairly close trade-off. Then you can go by the general model that 100lbs = 10 HP or a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

bottom line is if you do both you at worst are adding probably 10-15 lbs. Not enough to notice, especially for someone not headed to the track.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Yes. What Mako said.

Its not worth anything to worry about. Since you aren't after "every tenth" of the second.. You are fine.

I installed the body kit on my car myself and I would say they are less than 20 lbs... With the ligther hood, it should just even out... and with the "cold air" effect of the SS hood... you should be fine in performance.