General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signals/hazards/DRL's not working

Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals/hazards/DRL's not working

I’m having turn signal/hazard light/DRL problems that are driving me crazy. I’ve spent hours searching past threads and can’t find a problem like I’m experiencing, hence the new post.

My front turn signals/hazards/DRL’s weren’t working at all. I tested the sockets and was getting voltage. The rear turn signals, brakes, and hazards work fine and so do the green dash lights. Only the fronts aren’t working. I replaced both bulbs and then it got weird.

After replacing the bulbs the drivers side turn signal and hazards work, but not the DRL. But on the passenger side it was the exact opposite… the DRL’s worked but not the turn signal or hazard. Out of frustration I put both sockets back in the housing and now neither one works at all again. Back to square one. I was careful when I put them back in the housing so I don't think I pulled any wires loose.

As far as I can tell the sockets work (both have been replaced in the past), both the hazard and turn signal flashers work, and I put in brand new bulbs. I haven’t tested the DRL module because I didn’t want to tear the radio out just yet. Can anyone think of why I’m having this problem?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you said you were getting the correct voltage but did you test all the contacts? ground, turn signal, and running lights? Also when it did work with the turn signal was it blinking or just staying solid? I know the stock housings usually cracks and leaks water and corroded the contacts as I had to clean my contacts and I also replaced my housing when replacing my lights.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
you said you were getting the correct voltage but did you test all the contacts? ground, turn signal, and running lights? Also when it did work with the turn signal was it blinking or just staying solid? I know the stock housings usually cracks and leaks water and corroded the contacts as I had to clean my contacts and I also replaced my housing when replacing my lights.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% sure I was getting the correct voltage. At times I was getting 24V which I know is wrong, so I thought even though I must have been doing something wrong I was at least getting power.

When the front signals were working they were flashing, not staying solid.

Both signal sockets have been replaced before and there was a lot of dieletric grease in both of them. Although the sockets were not perfect they were pretty clean. I suppose I could change them both again relatively easily and it would be a total of $16 to replace, I just hate to start replacing things just to replace them but I may have to do that just to rule them out.

Any other thoughts based on the additional info?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JT2000WS6
Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% sure I was getting the correct voltage. At times I was getting 24V which I know is wrong, so I thought even though I must have been doing something wrong I was at least getting power.

When the front signals were working they were flashing, not staying solid.

Both signal sockets have been replaced before and there was a lot of dieletric grease in both of them. Although the sockets were not perfect they were pretty clean. I suppose I could change them both again relatively easily and it would be a total of $16 to replace, I just hate to start replacing things just to replace them but I may have to do that just to rule them out.

Any other thoughts based on the additional info?
hmmm 24v is strange. maybe before you replace the sockets again just try touching the wires to the correct spots on the bulb and see if it functions properly, that way you can rule out connectivity issues.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check for water in the housings.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

So I fixed the problem. Ultimately it ended up being an easy fix, but I just need to figure out how to prevent it from happening in the future.

What ended up fixing the passenger side was just cleaning the socket contacts. They didn't look bad, but I gave them a little cleaning and viola... it worked.

The drivers side I had to replace the socket. When checking with a multimeter I was getting voltage under every scenario (hazards/turn signal/DRL) but I noticed the terminal used for the flashing function seemed a little recessed and corroded. I didn't see a way to repair it so I just replaced the entire socket and all works fine.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats bro! thanks for sharing your fix. how are your housings doing? Amazon has some nice replacements.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I didn't inspect the housing with any great detail. I didn't put the car on stands, I just worked with the tires on the ground so I did most of it by feel. It's not a DD so I only drive it when there's no threat of rain. When I had the sockets out I did feel around with my finger inside the housing and it was dry even after I washed the car (which I know is no rainstorm, but still...). Even though it was dry the corrosion happened somehow... I may just replace the housings to cross that problem off the list. I'll check them out on Amazon... thanks for the tip!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signals/hazards/DRL's not working