Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller rocker install problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roller rocker install problem

I have all of the new rockers on theyre just fingertightened and I was beginning to torque them down and at first I set the torque wrench to 22ft/lbs right where theyre supose to be torqued at and the valve spring just keeps compressing and compressing and I cant get the poly lock to torque down to 22 ft/lbs, the spring was almost fully compressed before i decided to stop. so i set the torque at 12 ft/lbs and I try a few different valve this time and the same thing happens I cant even get 12 ft/lbs. Ive tested the torque wrench a few times and that seems to be working perfect. what am i doing wrong?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I have the stock cam, stock heads, stock valvesprings, the roller rockers are the first internal mod.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of rockers? Did you remove the stud plate from the stock rockers and did the new rockers require shims?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:32 PM
FormerVendor

If the valve is opening via the cam then that would happen. Do you see any metal shaving comming out of the stud. Does the spring stop moving and you can still turn the boldt?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Default roller rockers

You are trying to torque on the top of the cam lope, you need to
rotate the engine so that you are on the low or bottom of the
side of the the cam lope. hope this helps

Originally Posted by smokin t/a 600
I have all of the new rockers on theyre just fingertightened and I was beginning to torque them down and at first I set the torque wrench to 22ft/lbs right where theyre supose to be torqued at and the valve spring just keeps compressing and compressing and I cant get the poly lock to torque down to 22 ft/lbs, the spring was almost fully compressed before i decided to stop. so i set the torque at 12 ft/lbs and I try a few different valve this time and the same thing happens I cant even get 12 ft/lbs. Ive tested the torque wrench a few times and that seems to be working perfect. what am i doing wrong?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.ls1howto.com look under yella terra rocker install for f-body's. I used this as a guide to install my Harland Sharps to find out how to set proper preload.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

pending your cam postion some of them will compress the springs almost fully, if you installed all the parts you are probably ok, check ls1howto though as well.