Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Speedlimitracing & CSCC Autocross videos. 1/17-18/2015.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speedlimitracing & CSCC Autocross videos. 1/17-18/2015.

Saturday I went to a small Autocross race. The track was great fun, despite its size. 3rd. overall out of 40 street tire cars.
Sunday I went for a race at Auto Club Speedway. I left any skills I have at home and was almost to embarrassed to even show the video, but I figured it will make you guys with more skills feel better. The results made me feel much better, but I know what really happened behind the wheel. 2nd. in class. 12th. overall out of 150 cars.

Here's my take on street tires. I've only done a few events on them. All of your mistakes are amplified by two. They make a lot of noise. This is the big one. Even when you get it right you're still going slow. There's just not any excitement to them. I suppose if I was 16yrs. old and I wanted to become a race car driver I could see some value in running them, but I'm not. I'm living for the moment and I want maximum fun now.

Steve
Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What harness do you run? I have not seen one that goes under your armpit before.

I agree. Last season was my first autocross season and I started my 95 Z28 with stock suspension and Nitto NT555 tires. It was fun mostly because I was just enjoying racing, but then I quickly realized I wasn't a nut job behind the wheel and I could somewhat drive. That lead to shocks/springs/swaybars and some used V710's...I'll never go back to street tires I can help it lol. What may prevent me is the cost of slicks vs a street tire...I fear the day my V710's are done for lol.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

So what tires do you normally run? Most of my experience/exposure has been with tires that are 200 tread wear or higher. My Nitto555 are 300 tread wear and I've ridden in cars that wear RS3's or Rivals and the grip is extreme. I don't know what it would be like to have better grip than that...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smitty2919
What harness do you run? I have not seen one that goes under your armpit before.
http://www.gforce.com/products/netsanres/4290.php

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
So what tires do you normally run? Most of my experience/exposure has been with tires that are 200 tread wear or higher. My Nitto555 are 300 tread wear and I've ridden in cars that wear RS3's or Rivals and the grip is extreme. I don't know what it would be like to have better grip than that...
I usually run Hoosier A6's. They can be up to 3-4 seconds quicker on a 60 second Autocross track. I can get 72 laps on them before there toast.

Steve
Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Night and day between my Nitto 555's and even my used Kumho V710's...
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Do you drive to the track with the race slicks on?

Smitty- just to be clear, by night and day difference, you mean that the Kumho's are sooooo much better at grip- right?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, a lot more grip. I still remember the first day I used them. I was about my 3rd run in when I started getting comfortable with the track and pushing it hard. Came into a turn at a decent clip, hit the brakes and I slightly scared myself how well the bit. That was only with LS1 brake swap and ceramic pads with generic rotors. I have no idea how many heat cycles they have seen but the tread life is fine. They were produced 41st week in 04 if I remember...$275 for SS 10spoke wheels with the Kumho's mounted.

I bought them because...well who wouldn't at that price, but mostly for the spare wheels. I hoped the tires weren't **** and I lucked out.

I don't care what class I run in really. But at the same time I'm not going to voluntarily bump myself into higher classes to get my *** handed to me. SCCA I run ESP and NASA I run C class. I like knowing I out-drove someone so that's why running with Vette's will make me annoyed coming in last all the time.

Tires for me are a "if I can afford them" luxury. If I had not found the deal I did I bet I would still be running my NT555's that I daily drive on. Also if you are sticking to a class then you may not be able to run slicks.

I'm not looking to go to Nationals but IMO if I am putting the time and money into this hoppy I will spend money wisely. That said I was only halfway through last season when I threw shocks/spring/sway bars/watts link/race seat+harness at the car...so yeaaaa I went a little nuts but I don't regret it. This season is bringing a car trailer and hopefully a differential if money allows. I grew up playing hockey where personal talent shined over the equipment one wore. Autocross is different because it is possible the driver is average, but the car is amazing allowing them to get better times than a GOOD driver in an average car. This is where my drive comes in to beat people because I want to build an efficient car AND be a better driver.

Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to let you know where I was coming from and not sound like a know-it-all internet racer. I have a long way to go with driving ability but I feel I'm average right now and a quick learner. Some people just can't find that connection with a car to make it do what they want.

Last edited by smitty2919; 01-21-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you drive to the track with the race slicks on?
Yes, I drive to the events on them. Hoosiers and Kumho V710 are DOT legal. 140 miles round trip.

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Autocross is different because it is possible the driver is average, but the car is amazing allowing them to get better times than a GOOD driver in an average car.
I don't find this to be true. Autocross really equalizes all cars. Some Autocross tracks might favor one car over the other, but the track builders try to make them fair for all types of cars. If you're talking about road racing tracks, that's a different story. The cars need to be much better.

Steve

Quick Reply: Speedlimitracing & CSCC Autocross videos. 1/17-18/2015.