General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear brakes not working "abs and brake light are on" help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes not working "abs and brake light are on" help

Ok I have seen this is an issue, now I get to try and deal with it. I have a 94 Formula the back brakes are getting now pressure cant even stop the wheels at idle while jacked off the ground. Both ABS and Brake lights are on, when I try to bleed the ABS module with the two bleeder valves the lights come on and off. I had a bad spot in the brake line where I patched it and I think air is in the system. Please help I'm at a lost I've tried bleeding the system about 4 times.

Thanks; Josh.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Lots of views but no insight?!?!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by acuraguy81
I had a bad spot in the brake line where I patched it and I think air is in the system.

Can you tell us more about this and show some pictures of your repair?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Teching In

The area that was repaired is a few inches right under the drivers side where the lines make a bend, I used fuel line and hose clamps to fix the bad spot the rest of the line looks good. Im not leaking any fluid the fix is very tight. For what its worth Im very familiar with my way around a car especially and Fbody.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by acuraguy81
I used fuel line
I'd expect that this is the problem and that fuel line would not be rated for the pressures that the brake system sees. That repair may be bulging as the system pressurizes. You could get the air out and bleed the system, since that is a low pressure exercise (when the bleeder is open) but the hose may be stretching when it see's real braking pressure.

From StopTech: "2) Brake line pressure: Brake line pressure is the hydraulic force that actuates the braking system when the pedal is pushed. Measured in English units as pounds per square inch (psi), it is the force applied to the brake pedal in pounds multiplied by the pedal ratio divided by the area of the master cylinder in square inches. For the same amount of force, the smaller the master cylinder, the greater the brake line pressure. Typical brake line pressures during a stop range from less than 800psi under "normal" conditions, to as much as 2000psi in a maximum effort."
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try using a pressure line fitting to "patch" the broken line. I had a similar issue from a brake line rubbing on an axle and cut a hole into the line. Moved the line away from the moving axle, cut off jagged edge of brake like with tiny pipe cutter and put pressure line fitting in its place. No issues ever again.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes not working "abs and brake light are on" help