General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Interior lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interior lights not working

My car is an auto and the part of the center console that shows what gear the car is in wasn't lighting up so I decided to see what was wrong. I saw that the bulb underneath was broken inside so I tried to gently pull it out with a pair of pliers. Of course the bulb popped producing a small spark so I just put everything back together. It looks to me like the bulb isn't able to be pulled out so it has to be replaced some other way. When I drove the car later I noticed that none of the interior lights were working. The lights of the gauges, radio, and the air conditioner/heater controls are all not working now. Anyone have an idea of what's wrong? Did that spark mess up something? I'm going to post some pictures tomorrow when there's light out
Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

That spark was probably an arc and you blew your gauge light fuse. Were you prying that bulb when the lights were on?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do this, go out to the car and turn on the parking lights, if the tail lights don't light up then you blew the fuse, easy enough to replace but you need to get that busted bulb out first or you'll just blow it again. if the tail lights do work then you might have damaged the dimmer switch, these are the only 2 things I've ever seen cause the dash lights to not work.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
do this, go out to the car and turn on the parking lights, if the tail lights don't light up then you blew the fuse, easy enough to replace but you need to get that busted bulb out first or you'll just blow it again. if the tail lights do work then you might have damaged the dimmer switch, these are the only 2 things I've ever seen cause the dash lights to not work.
Checked the fuses and one of them was broken. Changed it and now everything lights up again. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Interior lights not working