Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is your car perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is your car perfect?

not in the sense that your car is perfect for you, rather, in a sense of, "is your car mechanically, physically, and audio-ly in perfect shape?" well i'll be the first to say mine is not. although i get numorous compliments on my car, there are more than 10 different things that bug the **** out of me.

for instance, my front fender was backed into before i bought the car. i "fixed" the problem, but even if no one else notices it, I DO! my rear fender has a slight indention in it where someone apparently backed into my car going about .05 mph. it's so slight that it bugs the hell out of me also.

i have a deep scratch on my passenger door, my hood and spoiler have many cat scratches and swirls that are visible in direct-light reflection, but otherwise unnoticeable, a rear quarter panel ding, a small hood ding, and my clear corners leak. as far as mechanically, my car uses about a quart of oil every 4000 miles, and also there is a really strange inside rattle. none of my other f-body friends have a clue on the rattle either. as far as audio - nada.

i don't really have too many issues with my car i don't guess. i contemplate from time to time spending all of my money on fixing the small appearance problems my car has. then again, it's really probably not worth it. most people that are aware of the physical imperfections on my car can't even see them. i just need to have a quick spell of amnesia everytime i REALLY see them (detailing, washing car). otherwise, i'd never notice them.

so does anyone actually have a perfect car out there? if not, then explain why.

Last edited by tuffluck; 05-29-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriend rear ended me last year. Was in body shop at dealer twice, still notice the rear out of alignment.

The hood is mis alligned now, not sure hwo it happend but when it went to the dealer to have sap taken off the hood that dried on it came back with the hood kind of bent almost, only i notice that one normally.

Two car door dings.

Swirl marks in paint, esp on hood.

I have a ticking sound, I ignore it as I think it's not major.

And there's more........but that's depressing im not going to think about it now.

I am sure that with many people on this board there are tons of things "wrong" with their car that nobody else notices. I know have them
Old 05-29-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

No.....
Old 05-29-2004, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Paint.. Paint.. Paint!!! Used car and had to park it outside in LA in college for 2 years will destroy a paint job.

Front right panel vibrates while braking, im gonna fix that soon.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
No.....
no, you have no problems? or no, your car isn't perfect?
Old 05-29-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the 30th day of having my car some schmuck hit it while parked and I have a scratch to the plastic in the rear fascia. It's black and most people can hardly see it when I point it out - but it pisses me off to no end. How in the world do you hit a freakin' parked car anyway?
Dan
Old 05-29-2004, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

I know exactly what you mean. If you remember when you first laid eyes on the car, you probably didn't notice half the things you do now. When I first saw both of my Formulas I just thought "cool, nice car". Now that I have detailed them I know exactly where every tree sap stain, nick, scratch, ding, clear coat peel, etc. is. When I see the car I automatically think of these things, but I know other people get that "first look" like I did. If it bothers you too much you may have the automobile version of that body dysmorphic disorder.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

I have a few things wrong with my car
1. Tiny cracks in paint on right rear bumper that are only noticable in certain light but really bug the crap out of me.
2. Ever since header install my oxygen sensors have been giving me a hard time.
3. 2 dents in right rear quarter panel.
4. 2 burn marks in interior from me being careless with a saudering gun.
5. steering wheel vibrates because my front tires are missing the little balance weights(probably because of some of my 150+ mph speed runs)
6. My right front tire has two plugs in it.
7. My right rear tire has a screw in it.
8. I have a rattle in the dash somewhere
9. I try to tune my car with predator but my knowledge on what adjustments to make is too limited and I know there is more hp in her.
10. My hood isn't a ram air hood.
11. My windows keep getting that fog on the inside and is hard to clean.
12. My SES light is on because of EGR removal.
13. My window motors are sloooowwwww.
But at least I replaced all my brake rotors and it brakes as smooth as silk, and they look good because I painted them.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont feel like listing all my problems but they are about to be remedied
Old 05-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

When I realized I had a problem in my car ..... I divorced her I still have the car
Old 05-29-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm convinced the only way to keep a car perfect is not to drive it Even brand new cars are not always perfect. When I bought my 01 Mustang GT ( in the showroom ) a salesman at the dealership put his clipboard down on the hood of my car. I had a few choice words for him
Old 05-29-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Now that I've spent a ton of time and effort on cleaning and protecting my paint, all the little imperfections (paint chips, door dings, scratches, and that weird "glue stripe" on my roof) REALLY bug me. Interior-wise, my driver-side floor mat has a hole in it from where my heels pivot, and some of the panels are coming away from their walls.

It consumes a little more oil than I would like, and there are occasional ticking sounds under hard acceleration.

Still, I've never had so much pride in a car.

-Mike
Old 05-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

a few small things that bug me, but they are all about to be fixed:
1. passenger side headlight isn't flush when they are closed
2. passenger side turn signal isn't working (electrical problem)
3. passenger side tweeter isn't working
i think i just need a whole new passenger side of my car!!
4. a nice dent above the rear passenger side wheel well
5. there's some strange noise coming from somewhere whenever i go to shift in lower gears, kinda sounds like a chain
6. i can hear a clicking sound coming from the upper part of the dash as well as around the gauges when the turn signal is clicking

once a few of these things are fixed i would say my car is perfect for a daily driver car. can't expect too much if you're gonna drive it down the highway everyday.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by glen
When I realized I had a problem in my car ..... I divorced her I still have the car

Wurd
Old 05-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Launching!

I can always find something wrong w/ a car... even if its brand new I guess I'm just that picky about my cars.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i get a lot of compliments on my car...the paint shines like CRAZY all the time for some reason, yet i can look at it and notice the 5000 scratches...plus my rear bumper is just a LITTLE bit misaligned since someone rearended me (not a serious hit)...mechanically, the car runs pretty hard but its never perfect the way i drive...

EDIT: who can forget the tiny ripples in my quarters from repeatedly launching the thing all the time...who'd have thought a bunch of 1.6s 60 foots would be enough to wrinkle my damn fenders!!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:06 AM
FormerVendor

what ever happened to the good ol f-bodies that EVERYONE loved?? Never be dissappointed i mean you never know..you could have been one of thsoe guys in a rice burner but no you got better so next time you look at those misperfections just think about good ol ching chong sitting in his honda civic and i bet thatll change your mind..
Old 05-30-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

DAMN rattles and squeaks!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Restricted User

Nothing could make me love my car less...but honestly there is nothing about the car that really bothers me. The previous owner took it through a brush carwash at some point and really scratched up the hood (fixed temporarily with a good wax), there is one 2mm scratch on the driver door, and the passenger door squeaks very quietly (can only be heard with windows up and radio off at less than 1000RPM), but nothing that bugs me.

Besides the hood problem will be fixed by weeks end. Along with an LPE intake and a few other goodies
Old 05-30-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

I love our car to death but here is its "character" that makes it ours:
Piston Slap
A small ding on the passenger rear quarter (probably by a shopping cart)
Keyed rear fender (passenger side)
Light scratches and swirl marks in the paint
Poor paint on the hood
Axle click
CB Antenna Mount on the driver side
When playing music loud the panel behind the passenger seat with the 6.5 sub vibrates on some tones...
There is a squeak in the back end somewhere when going over really rough road or RR crossings...

All of this was on the car when we bought it used but took us to really detail the car before we noticed the small stuff... Regardless we both (my wife and I) love the car to death.

Last edited by Azrael; 05-31-2004 at 09:28 AM.