Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

e85 tune & pump gas tune experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default e85 tune & pump gas tune experience?

I'm wanting to have 2 tunes, one for e85 and another for pump gas. I have e85 40 miles away so I can drum it for running the car around locally, but If I take the car out for a little trip I'd like to be able to swap out tunes with hp tuners to run pump gas. Anybody doing this? My only worry when switching to 91 there is going to be some e85 in the lines and I would think it will run lean until it flushes out. Also what do you guys do with the wideband leave it on lambda?

Last edited by josh4ku; 02-02-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by josh4ku
I'm wanting to have 2 tunes, one for e85 and another for pump gas. I have e85 40 miles away so I can drum it for running the car around locally, but If I take the car out for a little trip I'd like to be able to swap out tunes with hp tuners to run pump gas. Anybody doing this? My only worry when switching to 91 there is going to be some e85 in the lines and I would think it will run lean until it flushes out. Also what do you guys do with the wideband leave it on lambda?
I came here looking for answers to a similar question, so I'm subscribed. I'm hoping someone can chime in on how long it takes to re-flash with a tune using HPT.

I think to compensate for the E85 left in the lines, I would just run the car for a few minutes and burn that off. Or just drive and wait for your wideband readings to change drastically. For the wideband to be accurate between the two fuels, you need to change it's calibration for the different densities of fuels. It should be really easy, depending on the wideband.

Also, I usually tune/log in lambda.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cph15
I came here looking for answers to a similar question, so I'm subscribed. I'm hoping someone can chime in on how long it takes to re-flash with a tune using HPT.

I think to compensate for the E85 left in the lines, I would just run the car for a few minutes and burn that off. Or just drive and wait for your wideband readings to change drastically. For the wideband to be accurate between the two fuels, you need to change it's calibration for the different densities of fuels. It should be really easy, depending on the wideband.

Also, I usually tune/log in lambda.
I have an AEM wideband, I think it switches form the backside...it would be nice to have one that switches from the front.. I am also looking at a dual flash pcm from these guys.. Its towards the bottom of the page.. http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/
Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^i ended up sending my pcm off to have another chip installed. I'm going try it out.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to your feedback^^^^^
Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm by no means an expert in tuning, but from what I've heard and read you might be able to run a flex fuel sensor in the tank which will adjust your tune accordingly based on the amount of alcohol present in the fuel. This might make it better for you since you don't always get straight E85 all the time as the alcohol level varies by time of year and from station to station. Your car won't run at it's full potential if you have a tune expecting E85 when in fact you've really got E60 in there. And it would be a pain in the *** to have a different tune for every possible level of alcohol and you'd have to test it out each time you fill up.

Maybe do some reading on that and see if it's possible with your PCM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
I'm by no means an expert in tuning, but from what I've heard and read you might be able to run a flex fuel sensor in the tank which will adjust your tune accordingly based on the amount of alcohol present in the fuel. This might make it better for you since you don't always get straight E85 all the time as the alcohol level varies by time of year and from station to station. Your car won't run at it's full potential if you have a tune expecting E85 when in fact you've really got E60 in there. And it would be a pain in the *** to have a different tune for every possible level of alcohol and you'd have to test it out each time you fill up.

Maybe do some reading on that and see if it's possible with your PCM.
This is what I do with a flexfuel sensor. It is still some work to tune though because you need to get fueling and spark right for any combination between E10 and E85. You could make 3 tunes (or more) E10, E50, E85 etc. and make sure that you are testing at the pump. Kind of a pain in the *** though.

The wideband can be left on AFR since the reading is interpreted from a lambda reading to begin with. In other words it doesn't matter if you run 93 or E85, if your AFR is 12.5 it will remain the same reading on the WB.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Joemama, you do that in the GTO E40 PCM?

Quick Reply: e85 tune & pump gas tune experience?