Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help with 5.3 swap fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 5.3 swap fuel pump

I have an 82 K10 that I'm swapping a 5.3 into. It had dual tanks originally but I'm going to remove one as it's not needed. The problem is the tank does not have any baffles for fuel injection. I would like keep the saddle tank and not do a blazer tank swap or external pump.

So, here's my questions

1. Can I modify the ZL1 fuel pump module to work in my existing tank ? The tank is 13 inches deep.

2. I can use a f-body module, BUT can I put a higher flowing pump in place of the stock pump and still reap the benefits of the fill-bucket?

Thanks for any help
Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

87-91 chevy trucks were injected.(work trucks was still square body). I don't know if they had a baffle. I converted my 76 skylark to a 5.3, when I did my fuel pump set up. I bought a new tank cut a 6 inch square hole on bottom and made a box so an 06 Silverado pump assembly I bought new would go down into. Now its lowest part of tank as box is 3 1/2 deep. The top I simply made hole large enough for assembly go thru. I made a plate to hold down/seal pump assembly worked out fine. Silverado pumps are cheap on ebay.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 76larkman
87-91 chevy trucks were injected.(work trucks was still square body). I don't know if they had a baffle. I converted my 76 skylark to a 5.3, when I did my fuel pump set up. I bought a new tank cut a 6 inch square hole on bottom and made a box so an 06 Silverado pump assembly I bought new would go down into. Now its lowest part of tank as box is 3 1/2 deep. The top I simply made hole large enough for assembly go thru. I made a plate to hold down/seal pump assembly worked out fine. Silverado pumps are cheap on ebay.

Makes alot of sense starting with a new tank, any chance you have any pics uploaded already?
Thanks to both of you
Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

suburban tank from 87-91 is tbi injection so it is baffled. to mount it you will need to get crossmembers & straps from donor. crossmembers are curved so tank top rest on them & straps acroos bottom sandwiches it. down fall is filler neck goes to passenger side. I put a hole behind pass wheel tub, used a exhaust pipe bent in a 90 degree for filler. welded cap mounting hole thing to pipe. you can probably find used tank & everything on craigslist. change pump to high pressure pump for Ls motor.

Quick Reply: Help with 5.3 swap fuel pump