Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

s60 wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default s60 wheel bearings

Sheared 3 studs on driver side rear. Previous owner ordered the s60 with stock studs. I've pulled the axle already and need to get the bearing/seal cut off. The axles have 1/2" holes already so Im getting the 2" strange 1/2" screw in studs and open ended shank lugs. I run tt2s and will be running 15x10 darkstars and I don't think the 3" studs are necessary.

My question is the rearend paper work says timken set20 for the bearing and seal plus wedding ring. The strange installation instructions says the bearing is a a1013. I've found both on summit but not much info from either one so I want to make sure I order the right part. Which one is correct or are they identical? Here's the links to both parts

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/str-a1013

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tmk-set20

car has abs. after I cut the bearing off the backing plate will slide off but will the reluctor ring need to be cut off too?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:44 AM
FormerVendor

The studs can be changed without removing the bearings by cutting the studs short with a cut off wheel and backing the remaining stud out with a wrench. This is easiest with the axle removed and on the bench. I recommend ARP wheel studs which can be purchased through Summit.

Carl
Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. I've looked for arp studs but can't find screw in the sizes I want. If I do it that way how would I put the new studs in with the reluctor wheel still on?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic_Z
Sheared 3 studs on driver side rear. Previous owner ordered the s60 with stock studs. I've pulled the axle already and need to get the bearing/seal cut off. The axles have 1/2" holes already so Im getting the 2" strange 1/2" screw in studs and open ended shank lugs. I run tt2s and will be running 15x10 darkstars and I don't think the 3" studs are necessary.

My question is the rearend paper work says timken set20 for the bearing and seal plus wedding ring. The strange installation instructions says the bearing is a a1013. I've found both on summit but not much info from either one so I want to make sure I order the right part. Which one is correct or are they identical? Here's the links to both parts

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/str-a1013

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tmk-set20

car has abs. after I cut the bearing off the backing plate will slide off but will the reluctor ring need to be cut off too?

In order to change out the screw-in studs on a 4ch application you will need to remove the reluctor ring, and the black bearing spacer as well. The black spacer can be removed with heat, but for the small cost I would just purchase the new bearings, studs, and spacers all together.

The Timken set 20 and Strange A1013 are the same part.

Give us a call, we have it all in stock.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to bump this back up because I'm about to change the studs on my S60. I bent my 2" studs and am installing 3" studs. After I cut off and back out the old studs will there be enough room between the back side of the axle hub and backing plate to thread in a new 3" studs? I'll have the axle removed and clamped to a bench so the backing plate will be able to move I'm just curious will it be enough to get the new studs in without having to remove the bearing?
Old 09-07-2016, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the answer to my question is NO haha. I pulled the axles this weekend and there just isn't enough room to get the new ones in. So if there is anyone in this situation there's your answer.

But it looks like if you have 4 Channel backing plates you might be able to slide new studs through the sensor hole on the backing plate if they have small heads.

Quick Reply: s60 wheel bearings