Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all should I change out with my Cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all should I change out with my Cam

Im getting a TR 224/224..112.. I was just planning on putting on some comp 918s with titanium retainers and locks.. my car is a 02 with 25k on it but one of my buddies told me this..
Marc, in all honesty DO NOT do the cam swap until you are ready to do all of it (lifter, timing chain, ported heads, etc....). Its too much time/work/trouble.

Sure putting a cam and valve springs in will really kick up your HP , but then you will probably find that 5-10K miles later (been there dude.....) that the lifters will start to collapse (they get blown out on the fast ramps). Your stock pushrod WILL flex (I have seen some really cool slow motion vid of 5/16" pushrods shorter than ours (which means they are stronger) run at 5500 and they REALLY DO BEND! ) and can not only brake, but also puts harmonics into the system that the valve springs don't like (valve float). The stock timing chain is a POS and flops around like a $5 *****.
I know it would be good to change all this out but do I really need to????
Old 05-30-2004, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

I would definatly change your push rods its to easy not too. But i dont think you need to change your timing chain or anything, its a good idea to do it while your there but its not a necesity. I put in a much bigget cam than that and i just changed the push rods and springs. Its all in what you want to do, but with the motor only having 25xxx on it i think the timing chain will be fine. MIne had 95xxx and i kept the same chain
Old 05-30-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I second 9secbird, I just put another cam in my car, I have 82k miles, I used the G5X3 and it's big. But all I had with my last cam was the 918's, titanium retainers, and hardened pushrods. Same chain, rockers, etc. And with the new cam, I used the same chain, rockers, etc. Just changed the springs, retainers, seats, used the hardened pushrods again. Just get new waterpump and timing chain cover gaskets.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Cool Thanks guys