Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny dying & Feels like ebrake is applied when I release throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny dying & Feels like ebrake is applied when I release throttle

The tranny was purchased from Xtreme transmissions (former vendor here) 3.5yrs ago. Stall is 2800. Its held up very well over the years, and performed quite well.

A few months ago, while cruising, my 4L60E would not engage overdrive. That sort of thing tends to matter during a 500mile trip. Anyway, while driving, with hp tuners connected via my laptop, I selected the lower transmission pressures for the force motor (I later discovered when I came to a stop that this had the opposite effect and had actually increased the pressure). Anyway, while driving, the transmission went into overdrive and all was well. After I came to a stop, moving forward from 1st to 2nd gear would shift so freaking hard, my body would shake. Its a built trans, and by design, I was used to its firm shifts, but this felt like 5 times the regualr shift. So I figured the trans was stuck in the lower pressure setting for the force motor. I tried to select the higher pressure, and it still shifted hard in 1st & 2nd. So I switched off the car and reloaded my last tune. This seemed to work until while driving later that night, when it started shifting stupidly hard again. Only this time, the car felt heavy. It wouldn't move until I was at maybe 3500k. It has a 2800 stall. I managed to get it home, and the following week I replaced the EPC solenoid, as well as the 1 & 2 solenoids. The fluid was black and had metal shaving all over. The interesting thing is that this fluid had only been changed 1.5weeks earlier.

So there you have it. My immediate thought was the trans is toast, but I later thought Torque Converter. Right now I can only get it move if I take it to maybe 3000rpm. As soon as let go the throttle, it feels as though someone pulled the e-brake, and this is on an incline. What do you think?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir Harmony
The fluid was black and had metal shaving all over. The interesting thing is that this fluid had only been changed 1.5weeks earlier. What do you think?
I think the only way you are going to know for sure is to take it apart.
If you have black fluid and metal shavings then it's going to need a trans rebuild and new converter even if the converter was the cause.
The only way to get the metal shaving out is disassembly, Flushing is not going to get it.
If it have a trans cooler you may want to replace it while your at it. You might get the metal shavings out of it but it's not worth risking a fresh trans and converter.

Quick Reply: Tranny dying & Feels like ebrake is applied when I release throttle