General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheated after running out of water. Water disappearing? Input needed!!!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Overheated after running out of water. Water disappearing? Input needed!!!

Yesterday morning omw to work, temp gauge reads max and oil pressure nearly flat lines. SES light is on and still dont know what it is. Car ran like death for a few seconds before i turned off to cool. Let it cool and added water and seen it is leaking from a hose cap (I have a manual). Sadly, and maybe even a bit ridiculous, it is the newest component of the cooling system. Where do they get this crap from?

Before leaving work a friend wrapped plastic hose around it and I have yet to see it leak any at all since. Once he did this I topped it off and it seemed to run and drive just fine.

This morning I added half a gallon to the radiator. I thought no surprise just the system burping.

So after work today I decide to check the water level again just to be sure. This time I was able to put in nearly a gallon. Does this sound okay? Do I need to worry about something else now? Im even more worried now cause after topping it off I see air bubbles coming up... nearly in a pattern. See video;

Old 02-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the oil fill cap?
Old 02-14-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darkside99
Did you check the oil fill cap?
Yes, I should have mentioned I didnt see any mixture. Does it seem like its taking too much water?
Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

So, you saw water leaking from the pressure cap? Is it a GM pressure cap or aftermarket?

That cap should retain the pressure and only bleed it off when there is excess. Typically, as the fluid expands with the car heating, it will let fluid move to the reservoir to relieve that pressure. When the system cools, a vacuum is developed and the cap lets fluid flow back in to the radiator.

How is your reservoir levels through all this?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might not be the problem but then again it might, does your car have power steering cooler on it? if it does check your power steering reservoir.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you really run the heads and block out of...or low on coolant, it takes a lot to refill it. While its idling like that....squeeze the upper radiator hose rapidly like 10-20 times.....That pushes the air bubbles past the t-stat. Also, give it a sharp rev by moving the TB with your hand when its bubbling like that, it should also push coolant up against the tstat and help push air through it.....and also drop the coolant level down. If it drops down...theres still air in there somewhere. Once you see the coolant level drop way down out of site....refill it quickly before the tstat closes again. If you do that 2-3 times the system will be full......

Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
So, you saw water leaking from the pressure cap? Is it a GM pressure cap or aftermarket?

That cap should retain the pressure and only bleed it off when there is excess. Typically, as the fluid expands with the car heating, it will let fluid move to the reservoir to relieve that pressure. When the system cools, a vacuum is developed and the cap lets fluid flow back in to the radiator.

How is your reservoir levels through all this?
No, it isnt actually. It was a blocked off line.

Originally Posted by Empatho
Might not be the problem but then again it might, does your car have power steering cooler on it? if it does check your power steering reservoir.
Not sure. It was low, but could have been low previously. Will have to check again.

Originally Posted by LS6427
When you really run the heads and block out of...or low on coolant, it takes a lot to refill it. While its idling like that....squeeze the upper radiator hose rapidly like 10-20 times.....That pushes the air bubbles past the t-stat. Also, give it a sharp rev by moving the TB with your hand when its bubbling like that, it should also push coolant up against the tstat and help push air through it.....and also drop the coolant level down. If it drops down...theres still air in there somewhere. Once you see the coolant level drop way down out of site....refill it quickly before the tstat closes again. If you do that 2-3 times the system will be full......

Seems it is indeed getting better. Only took about 12 ounces this morning. Will be checking after work. Wish me luck.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Not my pic, but the bottom outlet it where it is/was leaking from;

Whats the best way to plug this. I prefer not to run into this again, again.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like the LT1 radiator. Get a 5/8 vent cap with a clamp to plug that bottom port.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
Not my pic, but the bottom outlet it where it is/was leaking from;

Whats the best way to plug this. I prefer not to run into this again, again.
......what do you mean it was leaking from that bottom port....???? Were you driving around with that port totally OPEN....????
The coolant would just drain right out of the radiator in about 1 minute.

Here's what I did with that extra port.........put a 6 inch piece of heater hose on it with a clamp....makes a great and FAST pouring drain line. Never use that cheesy petcock drain again. Lets me flush very fast.

Attached Thumbnails Overheated after running out of water. Water disappearing? Input needed!!!-lt1.rad.drain.line.jpg  
Old 02-16-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LFSADRG
That looks like the LT1 radiator. Get a 5/8 vent cap with a clamp to plug that bottom port.
Thats what I have on it. How do I tell if it's an LT1 rad? Arent the LT1 rads bigger?

Originally Posted by LS6427
......what do you mean it was leaking from that bottom port....???? Were you driving around with that port totally OPEN....????
The coolant would just drain right out of the radiator in about 1 minute.

Here's what I did with that extra port.........put a 6 inch piece of heater hose on it with a clamp....makes a great and FAST pouring drain line. Never use that cheesy petcock drain again. Lets me flush very fast.

LOL no; the cap leaked, replaced about a years ago, now was leaking again.
really like that setup. trying to figure out what you used.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Launching!

If this helps...

Stock LS1

Stock LT1

Probably doesn't need the clamp. Better safe than sorry.

Just need one 5/8". Do not use the plastic vacuum cap type.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

If this helps...

Stock LS1

Stock LT1

Just need one 5/8". Do not use the plastic vacuum cap type.
That cap is exactly what failed. Twice!

Thanks for the measurements, Ill have to check.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Launching!

That cap is exactly what failed. Twice
Uh oh. Maybe try the 5/8 heater hose instead.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Banned

trying to figure out what you used.
5/8" piece of heater hose....6 inches long. Then go to Home Depot and find a brass threaded plug that will screw into the end of the heater hose. Then a clamp on that end of the hose to secure that end with the brass plug screwed into it. The brass plug will stick out enough to get a crescent wrench or open end wrench or plyers onto it to tighten and loosen it.

The white plastic cap in my picture worked perfectly too. It was threaded and screwed into the end of the 5/8" heater hose. I just got a brass plug later.

When I want to do a flush I loosen the clamp a little bit...then with a crescent wrench or plyers....spin the plug out of the hose end.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

I did that once with exactly the same cap and clamp........it popped after about 2 months when I pushed on it with a screwdriver........it was all cracked and bulging. Not gonna last long.....

And it absolutely needs a clamp....18psi will push it off in about 15 minutes after engine start.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

This time it was to work, back from work, and to work again before I checked fill level. Only had to add just a bit;

But, I see this;

http://www.use.com/Btmvr

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 02-17-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The pictures are hard to see. Do you think you have coolant mixed in with your oil? Is it time for a pressure test?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know if I do. Go to the link and you can see much higher resolution pics. Trying to see if its condensation or mixing. I recently overheated but its also been really cold from what would normally be 80*.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Thoughts?
Bump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheated after running out of water. Water disappearing? Input needed!!!