Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to methanol. Need suggestions 8psi LS2

Stock bottom ls2 gto.
115,000 miles
Tvs2300 (8psi)

Just to be on the safe side i want to run methanol. I don't know anything about whats on the market, any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I run a devils own 3 BAR MAP kit on the Subaru. Pump kicks on at 2psi and ramps up to 100% at 26psi.

Had 2 snow controllers go bad on me. They worked great until the circuit boards fried, could be because they were both mounted in the engine bay.

At 8psi on a blower, these will get you going
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-stage-1a.html
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html

Tap the nozzle a few inches in front of throttle body for even distribution and to help chill the blower. You might gain some boost due to cooling, but I don't suggest running straight methanol. 50/50 distilled water to meth has huge gains and keeps parts alive longer.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Interesting...
Can you explain why there needs to be a 50 50 mix. I would expect better gains from straight methanol and it only kicks in at wide open throttle right? So there really shouldn't be any methanol residue to corrode anything
Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Thermodynamics 101. Water absorbs far more heat than methanol ever will.

This means your pistons stay cooler, and your ring gaps stay open. It helps prevent hot spots and steam cleans your ring lands and valves.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ViceCityPerformance
Interesting...
Can you explain why there needs to be a 50 50 mix. I would expect better gains from straight methanol and it only kicks in at wide open throttle right? So there really shouldn't be any methanol residue to corrode anything
Methanol is hygroscopic, pulls water from air which throws off the octane rating you have been tuned for. 70/30 meth/water is also a potent mix, anything over 60% methanol is still very flammable which is a trade-off with risk of fire. 50/50 still burns just fine in combustion and tends to have the best bang for the buck (drops IAT, steam cleans everything, wicked octane bump, very little risk of fire, less risk of piston meltdown under pump failure).

Remember injection kits don't work like nitrous, MOST systems run off of boost or MAP reference so it kicks on at X psi rather than WOT. N/A kits run off of MAF voltage, not ideal but N/A don't have the massive gains and risks like FI.

Big point against running straight methanol, IT WILL eat seals in the pump unless you can find a true methanol compatible pump. I think most say to use 50/50 or at least 30% water. If your luck is like mine, pump will fail at 5k rpm in the middle of a pass LOL
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Methanol is hygroscopic, pulls water from air which throws off the octane rating you have been tuned for. 70/30 meth/water is also a potent mix, anything over 60% methanol is still very flammable which is a trade-off with risk of fire. 50/50 still burns just fine in combustion and tends to have the best bang for the buck (drops IAT, steam cleans everything, wicked octane bump, very little risk of fire, less risk of piston meltdown under pump failure).

Remember injection kits don't work like nitrous, MOST systems run off of boost or MAP reference so it kicks on at X psi rather than WOT. N/A kits run off of MAF voltage, not ideal but N/A don't have the massive gains and risks like FI.

Big point against running straight methanol, IT WILL eat seals in the pump unless you can find a true methanol compatible pump. I think most say to use 50/50 or at least 30% water. If your luck is like mine, pump will fail at 5k rpm in the middle of a pass LOL
Understood.
In my methanol research I have read on various threads that magnason voids any warranty if there is evidence of any meth on the rotors. Is there any truth to this and if so like nitrous it seems that there are direct port kits? Any compatible out there for the TVS series blowers?

Like nitrous, are there benefits to going direct port meth injection?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM
8 Second Club

I sprayed nitrous through my maggie
Better gains for the limited time is was used

I wouldn't worry about meth on only 8psi, doubt it's worth the price.

We plumbed a direct port meth injection on a whipple c5z
Saw less than 20 wheel horsepower, definitely not worth the time and effort. It didn't cool the air charge enough compared to a turbo or centrifugal setup

Quick Reply: New to methanol. Need suggestions 8psi LS2