Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter install troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter install troubles

I'm putting a converter into a 4L80E. The trans in brand new and so is the converter. I have installed converters many many times and I work at the shop the built the trans and converter.

For some reason, this converter does not want to seat into the trans. I can get about 3/4 between the bellhousing and pads on the converters. I know it needs to drop again but I can figure out why it won't. IT seems to be moving the pump gears when I pull the converter back out. Are these known to be a difficult install? Anyone have a trick for this? Or know something that I don't?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The aftermarket internal piece in the converter that slides over the O ring on the input shaft is too small. You need to cut the converter apart and machine the hole bigger. Use a stock part to get the correct dimension. Happened to me.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Tough to say what is the cause. Could be the o'ring bore like mentioned. Could be a tight fit on the pump gears. Overall height should be about 6.9" - that is pad to hub. Could also be an internal height problem. Compare it to an OE one to verify the dimensions.

Chris
Old 02-17-2015, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

I ended up bringing the converter back into my work. I dropped a complete 4L80E pump and input into it and it fell in with no hesitation. Just a case of me being on the other end of a frustrating converter install for once. I'm usually on the phone talking the customer through it.

It may have been a blessing. I decided to build a 245mm instead of the 265 as I think I won't get 3800 stall the way I want with the 4.8ls and 75 billet wheel combo using a 265. Plus it's probably a weight loss of 10+lbs

Quick Reply: Converter install troubles