Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam install What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cam install What's wrong?

I started my engine and it took like 6 seconds for the oil pressure to come up to about 20 psi. I let it run for about 30 seconds and the oil pressure only came up about another 10 psi and my lifters still haven't pumped up. What is wrong or do I let it run a little longer? Please tell me that I didn't mess something up.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I just went out there and started it again and I have no oil pressure again. I let it run for about 2 seconds. I also put a double roller timing chain on it and the oil pump pick up tube seemed to go on straight although it seemed to slide forward a little but I couldn't see that anything was wrong. please tell me some good news.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:01 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most likely the oil pick up tube o-ring didnt seat right.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
most likely the oil pick up tube o-ring didnt seat right.
Is it easier to take the oil pan down to look at that or start over like I did to put the chain on because that was a bitch to get the pick up tube reconnected.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Black Z
Is it easier to take the oil pan down to look at that or start over like I did to put the chain on because that was a bitch to get the pick up tube reconnected.
to me its more of a bitch to pull the pan, you'll need to support the engine, drop the k-member, yada yada yada. im going to say you'll need to tear down the **** again
Old 05-30-2004, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
to me its more of a bitch to pull the pan, you'll need to support the engine, drop the k-member, yada yada yada. im going to say you'll need to tear down the **** again
Ok, when I tear it down again how will I know for sure that the o ring is going to seal right. It seems like when I did put the pick up tube on it was going on straight but it kinda felt like it gave a little at the other end. Could I have pulled it loose from the other end, wherever it hooks up at inside the oil pan?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:24 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Ok, when I tear it down again how will I know for sure that the o ring is going to seal right. It seems like when I did put the pick up tube on it was going on straight but it kinda felt like it gave a little at the other end. Could I have pulled it loose from the other end, wherever it hooks up at inside the oil pan?
i took my pump apart and installed it on the crank and then put it back together. seemed to make it easier to work with and seat on the oil pick up to with the least amount of stress.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
i took my pump apart and installed it on the crank and then put it back together. seemed to make it easier to work with and seat on the oil pick up to with the least amount of stress.
I sure do appreciate all the advice so far. I was excited when I was sittin' my car to start it up. Now I'm all down and **** because I have to tear it all down and start all over. At least I don't have to change the springs again. I guess that is something positive to look at. Now I am going to go outside and find something to shoot all to hell. Thanks man.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:36 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

I sure do appreciate all the advice so far. I was excited when I was sittin' my car to start it up. Now I'm all down and **** because I have to tear it all down and start all over. At least I don't have to change the springs again. I guess that is something positive to look at. Now I am going to go outside and find something to shoot all to hell. Thanks man.
once you've done a tear down once, the 2nd time isnt all that much work. im lucky that my oil psi was 45 @ idle after my pump swap.

you did install a new o-ring right?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
once you've done a tear down once, the 2nd time isnt all that much work. im lucky that my oil psi was 45 @ idle after my pump swap.

you did install a new o-ring right?
Would you give me your number so I could call you. It is much easier that way. I ain't no weirdo or anything. If not I understand.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Would you give me your number so I could call you. It is much easier that way. I ain't no weirdo or anything. If not I understand.
I guess I meant pm me your number if you want.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:38 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey just another thing to check out the pump spacers on the double roller can be put on wrong they go on only one way! I have a new procedure I do when installing these now I put the spacers on with a little silicone and snug them up with a few wasers or bigger nuts. I let them dry for a little while so I do not have to mess with them while putting the oil pump on and that way you can't screw that up an you can also make sure that the extra silicone that is squezed out in the oil passage can be removed with your finger. Installed one backward once and have very low oil presure putting the spacer on the right way fixed it, but that is just a little info to chew on. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Hey just another thing to check out the pump spacers on the double roller can be put on wrong they go on only one way! I have a new procedure I do when installing these now I put the spacers on with a little silicone and snug them up with a few wasers or bigger nuts. I let them dry for a little while so I do not have to mess with them while putting the oil pump on and that way you can't screw that up an you can also make sure that the extra silicone that is squezed out in the oil passage can be removed with your finger. Installed one backward once and have very low oil presure putting the spacer on the right way fixed it, but that is just a little info to chew on. Good luck!
Are you talking about the one with the hole in it. Won't that only go on one way or can you turn it around and the hole will be blocked, which you don't want to do.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:07 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

You are correct it will go on with the hole partially blocked. And that is what I had happen while trying to line up the pump with the pick up tube the gears on the crank and the spacers. So I now put them on first and let them sit for 15-30 minutes and then I don't have to mess with them while putting the pump on also. The one with the whole in it feed your whole motor.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

You are correct it will go on with the hole partially blocked. And that is what I had happen while trying to line up the pump with the pick up tube the gears on the crank and the spacers. So I now put them on first and let them sit for 15-30 minutes and then I don't have to mess with them while putting the pump on also. The one with the whole in it feed your whole motor.
I used your advice on that and it worked great. I also used JRP's method of taking the front of the pump off so it is easier to work with. JRP is the man.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:18 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Was the spacer on there wrong or was it the pump? Glad to hear it went good and hope we helped you out.
Jeff
Old 05-31-2004, 11:31 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Was the spacer on there wrong or was it the pump? Glad to hear it went good and hope we helped you out.
Jeff
first install he re-used the old o-ring and during the tear down he found the o-ring in the pan instead on the pick up tube. replaced o-ring with a new one and all i good
Old 05-31-2004, 11:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
first install he re-used the old o-ring and during the tear down he found the o-ring in the pan instead on the pick up tube. replaced o-ring with a new one and all i good
Isn't this a common mistake or problem with a swap to deal with the stupid o-ring?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Isn't this a common mistake or problem with a swap to deal with the stupid o-ring?
In this case I was the stupid one. I am just glad that you guys helped me out here. Thanks, Thanks. JRP was a huge help and all is well now. I too have a singer sewing machine now.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Jeff
It was the o ring, or should I say no o ring. Anyways, all is good now and thanks for the help.