General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

passenger rear exhaust hanger/painting/dye upper door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default passenger rear exhaust hanger/painting/dye upper door panels?

Has anyone found the a rubber insert which will work for the passenger rear exhaust pipe hanger??

I don't need the steel shell that bolts to the unibody, just a new insert donut, and since GM has discontinued these (like almost everything else for 4th gens ), and Dorman/Walker/etc. never made them, and Hawks 3rd Gen does not have them, WHAT can we do to replace this (there are NO boneyards in my area with ANY 4th gens in them at all, and even IF they did, an at least 13 year old rubber part cannot be in too good of a shape ANYWAY)??!!

Also, has anyone ever successfully painted, or dyed, the interior upper door panels of a CLOTH interior, base Z28?
It has that 'zebra/marble' type pattern velour material, and the once charcoal/graphite color has sun faded to a sickly purple color on top.
I just want to make it a SOLID dark grey/graphite/charcoal color.

If you have done this, WHAT method/materials did you use?
(I am just trying to NOT have to dump $500.00 on Hawks' replacement panels, which can ONLY be had in factory leather, since I can think of MUCH else for this car I could spend that coin on, which would help the performance. )
Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

got a pic of the rubber insert you're looking for ?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have a exhaust shop fabricate an exhaust hanger with a readily available autozone rubber hanger...not rocket science.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Default Exhaust hanger

sent you a PM dailydriver for a link to an exhaust hanger.......
Bolts right in and
Works perfect
Old 02-20-2015, 06:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Has anyone found the a rubber insert which will work for the passenger rear exhaust pipe hanger??

I don't need the steel shell that bolts to the unibody, just a new insert donut, and since GM has discontinued these (like almost everything else for 4th gens ), and Dorman/Walker/etc. never made them, and Hawks 3rd Gen does not have them, WHAT can we do to replace this
It has been reported that Walker #35648 hanger is a useable replacement for the passenger side I-pipe (at axle) hanger, but this is a complete hanger and not just the [rubber] insulator. I suppose you could try to remove the insulator and use it in your stock hanger, since the Walker hanger isn't a perfect duplicate of the original and some have reported needing to use washers as spacers to get the proper hanger mounting height.

(there are NO boneyards in my area with ANY 4th gens in them at all, and even IF they did, an at least 13 year old rubber part cannot be in too good of a shape ANYWAY)??!!
Don't be too sure about that. The stock hanger from my '98 got moved to my '02 when I redid the exhaust back in '07, and then continued to live on just fine until I sold the car in '14. 16 years and the insulator was just fine, but total mileage on it between the two cars was only about ~50k.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone.

Part of the problem is that I have a Mufflex stainless 3.5" cat-back on the car, and it uses a 2 rod type of welded on hanger to the over the axle pipe, with the open ends facing forward.

Add the weight of this system, to the fact that this is a 16 year old piece of rubber, daily driven in ALL conditions/seasons for 180K+ miles in the salt soup belt, over horrid roads with a VERY stiff/rough riding road race type suspension, and it is NO wonder that poor little rubber donut has seen better days. :LOL:

Has ANYONE on here dyed, or painted their cloth upper door panels, or am I the ONLY one left without a leather interior/fully optioned 4th gen??!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Launching!

I have same interior as you. My door panels have not faded much since its lived its life mostly in a garage, but I did notice that the driver seat bottom is starting to show signs of something possibly purple (I thought it was possible that it was levis dye). So I have been searching for a nice factory skin for it to no avail.... But I am not giving up hope.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Has ANYONE on here dyed, or painted their cloth upper door panels, or am I the ONLY one left without a leather interior/fully optioned 4th gen??!
I didn't have leather in two of my three Camaros. Even the one that sat outside all the time never had this fading issue as of 2014 when I sold it. Can't say I've ever seen one with that problem in my region, as we don't really get enough sun for that.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Both of mine were originally from Washington State and were garaged there so I'm sure that the lack of sun helped out a bunch too. I do think that I probably need to start looking for some door panel inserts that don't have any fading for spares for the future though.

Quick Reply: passenger rear exhaust hanger/painting/dye upper door panels?