PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for Superchips owners w/3:73 new gears

Old 05-31-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Tips for Superchips owners w/3:73 new gears

My situation: Here I was 1 year ago trying to find the besy basic programmer for my basically mod'd '99 Trans Am. After a few recommendations from other F-body owners and comparing different brands, woe-and-behold, I found a 1999-2002 Superchips MAX Tuner sale priced for $269.00 on the Internet with no tax and no shipping charges.

When I got it, I was very satisfied and it took care of my needs. Just three weeks ago, here I am ... 3.23 to 3.73 ring and pinion gears exchange. I get home and am feeling great. I re-tune tune the T/A using the Superchips MAX Tuner. Still on cloud 9, I put it in OD (A4 tranny)and pull out. It pulls like a tractor ... until I find it will not change out of 1st gear. I re-tune it like 7 or 8 times ... same results. I finally have to tune it to a 3.42 gear selection on the tuner and it does pretty good. My 1st thoughts were that the gear shop screwed up the installation.

The next day, I told myself that this thing could not possibly be this screwed up and still sell. So, as a last resort, I dumped the stock tune back into the PCM. I then told myself that maybe it needs to first 'see' the stock settings and then needs to see the original gear at stock settings, so, I drove two blocks, turned around, THEN, I did the custom tune with the Programmer. Unbelievably, it tuned perfectly to the new 3.73 gears. I was afraid to touch it again; however,this morning, I decided that I HAVE TO set my shift points a little bit higher, so, I tried to simply re-tune. Again, it would not go out of first gear unless I manually shifted.

Again, I had to dump the stock tune back in and then drive it two blocks, Again, it worked perfectly and the T/A has never ran better.

Lesson learned: If you're frustrated because of a recent gear change and you own one of these S/C MAX Tuners, do as I did, instead of taking it back to the shop. It worked for me and I think it will work for you if you are having the same issue. Hope this helps someone.

Search this Thread