Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 4L60E shifting issue(please help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 4L60E shifting issue(please help)

My girlfriends 93 chevy step-side pickup recently stumbled upon a weird shifting issue that I cannot figure out.
It will shift just fine when the engine is cool and shifts normal no hard shifts or anything. But, once the truck comes up to temperature, it will downshift to first gear and will no longer shift. It still has reverse, neutral, and park but will not shift automatically. I have tried to manually shift it and still nothing.
I just changed the fluid and filter and still have the same issue. The fluid did not look too bad and did not smell burnt so I went ahead and finished.
I cannot seem to find a whole lot about this issue anywhere online so it seems to be fairly rare. When I had to pan off of the trans, I immediately noticed that someone had removed one of the shift solenoids "toward the front of the truck" but has worked just fine before so didn't think it was an issue. I also noticed that the wire tray was broken by one of the bolts. Again, I thought it wasn't a big deal because it just held the wires up off the pan.
Has anyone else encountered this issue and found out the solution to this issue? Also, would running some Lucas trans fix help with the problem?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I don’t think Lucas trans fix will help. It sounds like a solenoid is getting hot a failing. The spot where you say it looks like someone removed a solenoid is normal, there isn’t supposed to be one there. Where I get home from work I will check my manual to help narrow down which solenoid it is.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

When the trans is in first gear both shift solenoids are on. So I don’t think it is a shift solenoid is the problem. Does your speedometer work? You are going to have to hook a scanner up to your truck and look to see if the pcm is commanding a 1-2 shift. We can’t diagnose your problem without knowing these things.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i will need to have them hook the computer up to it to check things like the PCM and the computer and such to see if it is all responding correctly?
Also, the speedometer does work and all but every now and then it will bounce around a little bit so... not sure what that means either.
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Get the PCM/computer scanned and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: 93 4L60E shifting issue(please help)