Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown v6 motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown v6 motor

Hey whats up i know this site is for ls1 i know many of yall know alout about the v6 firebird i have a 1999 firebird v6 and i belive i have thrown a piston rod my car clanks horrible and their is metal shaivings in the oil i want to pull the engine myself to save labor cost but iwmas wondering if anyone knew if the setup to pull out the engine was the same as the ls1 i figure they have to be close and i was also wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to have this replace thanks lout
Devon
Old 05-31-2004, 11:26 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah they come out the same way I guess you are talking about out the bottom cause it is the only way to go. Takes about 3-4 hours for the first timers and even less going back in so just figure a weekend and you should be ok. Good luck and if you are looking for a motor post an ad in the WTB section and serch the for sale section.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Does any 1 know if there is a rebuild kit for the 3.8 v6 out there because im afraid the rod probaly broke the piston and tore the cylinder wall and also if u pull the engine and tranyy out from the bottom how can u take the k member off with out meessing up your allingment thanks
Devon
Old 06-01-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.firebirdv6.com
Old 06-01-2004, 12:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

PM Magnus on here he might have a spare 3.8 lying around.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:06 AM
Teching In

ok well this is how the whole deal went down my dads friends sold me this firebird for 2800 its a 99 with 125,000 i had just got done installing a new belt tensioner on it when i checked the radiator it was covered with what i suppose was rust so i flushed the system and put some cleaner in there for 4 days and flushed it again and ran preston antifreeze in it i went to take it out to get gas and it ran fine but about 3 miles later i heard a loud clank so i went back home i had the hood open and the engine on and it just locked up and i was able to start it up but the clanking got worse my dad thinks that it was block sealer in the radiator and not rust and that there is a crack in the block and than i began to think its an alumium engine it shouldnt have rust that soon right so know i plan to take it out tomm but i dont know if i should buy a new or used motor or get this one fixed we belive its a blown gasket and a cracked piston rod i would love to buy a trans am with an ls1 but cant afford this im just 16 so if u have any advice at all please let me know thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.8 block is iron not aluminum.

You can find them on ebay, and the local salvage yards, pretty reasonable.
Can't really tell you if you can rebuild yours, until you get inside it and see what's broken... It might be rebuildable, it might not.

It's probably just as easy to swap a salvage motor into it anyway. Unless you're planning to go completely through the motor and do aftermarket heads, cam, etc.

My 3.8 will be up for sale, but not for a few more weeks, when I tackle the v8 swap. I already have a buyer for it anyway...

Price a rebuild locally at your Advance, Autozone, NAPA, or whatever. Call some of your local salvage yards too. That way you'll have a better idea how much money you're looking at, then you can make a decision to go new or used. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a local salvage engine for around $500.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Teching In

alright its 12:30 and i am starting the break down process i have all the time i need im out of school for the summer so im going take my time and label parts and where they go if anyone has ideas or just knows any hints to get the motor out from the bottom please post them thanks guys also when i get it out do u think i shoudl break it down and look for the problem or sent it stright to my buddy he works in a machine shop and i also am not plainning to do any modifactins witht he heads or cam just want the thing to run well thanks again
Devon
Old 06-01-2004, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I would take it out the top.

PM Magnus he has done it before and he has a spare shortblock.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Teching In

bought my 3800 from ebay
$420
51k miles on the engine + 4l60e Transmission
Out of a 1997 camaro wreck.