Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much horsepower do you think I lost? (kind of long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much horsepower do you think I lost? (kind of long)

I pinched the knock sensor wire harness between the intake and head on the #8 cylinder. This happened when I put the intake on after the new engine install. It was the thick part of the harness. I'd say it blocked about 25% of the port. It was pinched together at the bottom of the port.
The engine is a 347CI with forged pistons. The heads are 5.3's with a mild port job. On the old engine I was making 394rwhp with my cam, headers, lid, and SSRA. I took it up to the dyno to get it tuned for the NOS(this is the reason the old engine blew; to small of injectors). The best we could get was 394 again with the knock sensors deleted(he was getting a lot of knock retard) which is why he deleted them. We figured something was wrong with the knock sensors after I installed the intake, which is why he deleted them for the dyno pulls. I reinstalled all the old parts, cam and so on.
I was hoping to at least pick up 15rwhp from these new heads over my old stock LS1 heads. So how much horsepower do you think I lost from a 25% blockage of one of the ports?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

The thick main part of the knock sensor harness? How would you even get the intake to seal?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
The thick main part of the knock sensor harness? How would you even get the intake to seal?
There's some foam on the wire about two inches back from the further back knock sensor. It probably wasn't sealed. The tuner didn't see anything on his tuning program to indicate anything amiss. The engine ran pretty good also. The harness was pinched at the bottom of the port on the inside.
So considering that maybe it wasn't properly sealed on the #8 port and the blockage, how much HP do you think I lost?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Well I took her for a drive. She seems to pulling noticably harder. I can't wait to get on the dyno and see what kind of power she's making. I'd hope for at least 10rwhp more.