Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating LT1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating LT1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really beginning to hate my damn WS-6. Last saturday I blew the tanks on my radiator racing a ******* ford!!!!. The next day I had the radiator tanks replaced and rodded. I installed it back in the next day replaced the coolant and burped the system. Now before this all happened my car ran at around 210 after my LT header install. Now the damn car climbs to 220-250 within minutes. I replaced the water pump, and the thermostat, also the radiator cap, and still nothing. My last resort is checking for a blown head gasket. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm lost, and I can't keep throwing parts at this ******* car.

thanks

1996 WS-6 M6
Old 06-01-2004, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Air in the system (bleeding them is a very complicated process), fans not turning on, or blown head gasket.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had that problem with my Firehawk. It turned out I was blowing the fuse that turned the fans on.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch on the A/C, the fans should come on.
Check the fuses
Was it running hot when you ran the ford?
What did the coolant look like - clear, dirty?
Are you using dexcool or green?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

there is a burping valve that is used to get air out of the cooling system; I assume you did this from your post however....

One other method is to run the car with the rad cap off until the therm opens....

these cars have problems with air getting trapped in the cooling system.... LS1s have a similar problem too....no burping valve on LS1s, however....
Old 06-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LT1's have much more of a problem that LS1's because they are reverse flow. Properly burping an LT1 requires heat cycling the engine several times, each time letting air out the little brass fittings, and don't forget the one under the TB. And yes, if you don't do this properly, it will trap air in the heads and run hotter than hell! Ask me how I found out!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

The simplest way to do this is to run the car to temperature radiator cap off. Keep filling the radiator as the level decreases. Don't worry if it starts spewing out, just let it go. Keep watching the temp guage till its at least 180. Then, once the radiator seems to stabilize and start overflowing more, take a towel and pick up the cap and cap it and BE CAREFUL, its hot. It helps to pour cold water into the radiator just before you do this. Then, immediately open BOTH bleed valves completely. Once coolant starts coming out of each of these in a steady stream, close them. The one that will take longest to come out as a stream is the top one near the alternator. Keep it open as long as you need to, it will happen.

Search this Thread