Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Motor or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Motor or Not??

Took my car in for the notorious piston slap issue, that most LS1's have. The slap is not that bad now, but it did use about a quarter of a quart of oil the last 500 miles. The car has 18k miles and the dealership is having me fill out a oil consumption sheet. This car has never burnt a drop of oil!

The dealership is going to have me fill out a GM oil consumption sheet for a couple of months.

My question is that the car runs hard, should I even mess with this? The dealership has no problems with my mods, and tell me that if this gets any worse they will tear down the engine for inspection. This sounds scary to me.
What would you guys do?
thanks,
Justin
Old 06-02-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get it fixed while you are under warranty. When you get done filling out the sheet analyze it, and get yourself a new motor! It gets worse with more miles so if you are only at 18K, imagine 30K.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I've been exactly where you are at. My 01 Z never burned oil until all of a sudden it was using a quart every 1000 miles. Luckily I had an extended warranty and they paid GM to tear my engine apart. What happened was that one of the rings on the piston broke and oil was being consumed. So they put all new rings on. Later, both of my cats went from the oil being consumed but they were replaced for free as well.

As far as the piston slap is concerned it doesn't go away when the rings are replaced. The slap happens because the bore on the block is too big, about a hair. So after what seemed like a year of me getting on GM's case how piston slap does not meet the logical definition of "normal" I got a new engine.

Good luck to you man.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well just picked up the car from the dealership. This whole oil consumption sheet sounds like a pain in my azz, but im going to do it. Yup the cyl sleeve is about .0001" oversized. Doesnt sound like much, but i deal with millionths all day long at work, so its not good. In the sheet I got it states that burning 1qt of oil every 800 miles is not excess??????
I need to stop this nonsense and start saving for a 05 C6!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Who's to say how the LS2 will be. Alot of LT1 guys
said the same thing in 96. Did you buy the car new.
From what I understand, if you got on it hard early you'll
have a much greater chance of burning oil.
But regardless how do they know how much you're putting in,
write down whatever you want.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

yup, ordered the car brand new, the last week you could still order them. broke it in for the first 500 miles, under 3500rpm. changed the oil and went to synthetic.
the bad thing is that i cant find all my receipts for oil and filters. im sure gm is a harsh on this if you want a new motor. what a pain in the azz.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

How often did you change it with the synthetic?
I don't know at if they will or won't stick to the 3K of 90 day
interval, so if your missing one or two you might be OK