Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets put this Trex cam buisness to rest..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets put this Trex cam buisness to rest..

I only want to hear from guys that have the cam, or rode in a car that has the cam. I know everyone that doesnt have the cam see's the spec sheets and says there's no way its streetable, then i hear from the guys that have it and they say they have no probs with it. So my question is.. On a stock car with full bolt-on's, and full exhaust is this cam very streetable.. If not list any problems you've had with it. I just want to settel this once and for all. Thats fellas

Brandon
Old 06-02-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that you only want those who have the cam, but from my research and other input it all depends on the tune. If you get a good tune it can be streetable, but if your tuner does a crappy job then your ls1 will run crappy. I guess that is kinda common sense with an aftermarket cam as large as the trex though. Just thought I would let ya know what I think...And by the way I have decided to go with a g5x3 it seems to take a tune very well, and is a very strong cam.

Fry
Old 06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frey51
I know that you only want those who have the cam, but from my research and other input it all depends on the tune. If you get a good tune it can be streetable, but if your tuner does a crappy job then your ls1 will run crappy. I guess that is kinda common sense with an aftermarket cam as large as the trex though. Just thought I would let ya know what I think...And by the way I have decided to go with a g5x3 it seems to take a tune very well, and is a very strong cam.

Fry
So with a good tune this cam should have no probs? I've done alot of re-search and it seems like EVERYONE that doesnt have the cam just looks at the specs and says But people that have the cam and drive it on the street say
Old 06-02-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tune makes or breaks how a cam peroforms and how a car drives after a cam. I don't have a cam as big as the Trex, but I got my G5X2 real streetable, drive it in traffc every morning, lugging around low rpm with out any problems....all in the tune
Old 06-02-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing to consider helping that cam be streetable would be gears....
Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gears, converter, tuning serve the biggest rolls in this...we got my cam to run great in my auto with tiny gears & smallish stall. The only thing that i could see being a "problem" is needing a higher idle & surging...my idle with my cam is at 850-900rpms and its great almost no motor shake, hasnt once stalled at a light...it has stalled a few times switching to Reverse quickly...and it will surge some but I think some 3.73 or 4.10 gears in an auto would cure that pretty easily...with a manual youd probably want 4.10+ gears. Bottom line I dont own the cam but own something pretty big in a car not meant for a big cam & I've had little issues so id assume a properly setup car with that cam could be driveable w/ little issue.

lata
Bill
Old 06-02-2004, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all in the tune with these big cams. I think it would make for a great driver with the right tune. Thats that. Sounds like you want it so get it and try yourself this is the true way of figuring out weather you will like it or not. If you like like big lopy cams to begin with you will like it and it will drive well with the righ converter, gears and tune. Allthough it will not run like a stock one all silky smooth like. there is a tradoff anytime you want more power it comes down to compermise.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

i'll let ya know how streetable it is in about a month with a full dynotune from the tuner in my sig.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aside from surging below 2000 RPM, I drive mine with no part-throttle tuning and stock 3.42s and have no complaints. It's a big cam, so of course it isn't going to drive like stock, but I have no problem hopping in mine and driving it whenever I want. In fact, I just drove to Charlotte and back a couple weeks ago (a 300 mile trip) and had no problems at all.

Driveable is relative, I know, and I will admit that I don't drive mine everyday, only a few days out of the week. Unless you have to sit in stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper on a daily basis, I think you'll find it drives just fine. With 4.10s and a nice tune, you shouldn't have any driveability problems.

Josh
Old 06-02-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talk with Colonel, man....He knows his stuff about cams...
Old 06-02-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drive a 230/236 107lsa cam almost every day. It has know driveability issues unless I try to idle somewhere (i.e. below 1300 rpms). I have a twelve bolt with 4.11s and a fairly good knowledge of ls1 edit tuning however.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

I've got it in my car. I have yet to get my car tuned. Let me repeat that, COMPLETLY STOCK TUNE!!! I've only put 100 miles on it with no tune, and they were a miserable 100 miles. Fumes will damn near kill you. Went through over a 1/4 tank of fuel in under 20 miles!!!! Won't idle. Gotta be quick with your feet when coming to a stop. But, I was not suprised in the least that it ran like that. I have no doubt in my mind, that it will be a joy to drive once I get it tuned. I also am running the stock 3.42 gears (M6). and it doesn't seem that bad at all. I can't wait to get it running right. Because, even with it running the way it does, it still pulls like a freight train from about 3k on.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSean
The tune makes or breaks how a cam peroforms and how a car drives after a cam. I don't have a cam as big as the Trex, but I got my G5X2 real streetable, drive it in traffc every morning, lugging around low rpm with out any problems....all in the tune
Same here with the X2
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSean

I agree with Sean. I don't have a TRex but I do have a Grand AM - 239/251, 0.570", 106. It's ALL in the tune as far as "driveability goes. With an Exedy twin disc clutch and 4.10s it's not bad in traffic - even bumper to bumper.
joel
Old 06-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Launching!

No replys with very many people that run the Trex... Hmm Well way i take it, I can run the Trex if I'm running a 12-bolt with 4.10's an M6 with Spec stage 3 clutch, and a few bolt on's with a good tune? Thats all I'm looking for.. I want some mid to low 11's with full exhaust, and a few bolt on's gears and that cam, all while being streetable if possible.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had the cam in my car for about 3 months now. And like what most everyone said, its all in the tune. I drove on the stock tune for a few days until my tuner was able to get me in, and yeah, it sucked, duh! But once it got all tuned up, its a blast to drive. And I drive mine daily. Put about 4-5K miles on it so far since the cam.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

My cam is a little more radical than the TRex. I'm still running 3:42's. I can drive the car anywhere. Its all in the tune
Old 06-03-2004, 10:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've installed a few of them in customer cars.It has to be tuned ASAP after they are installed or you can risk gas washing the motor at idle!!

With some good tuning you can daily drive them without any worries.Very little bucking under 1500rpm in lower gears.Just don't expect the 430+rwhp from these.The most I've seen is 410rwhp with all the bolt-ons.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

I have the T-REX and I have no complaints, the cam pulls hard. I drove my car for a month with the stock tune, and I did pretty damn well I drilled a 1/4" hole in my throttle body blade. As far as times with this cam Smokin01T/A just ran 11.22 @ 121 in a 3475lb. T/A. He has all the boltons and 12 bolt. Opinions are like ******** everyone has one, make your own decision on what cam you want. The T-REX isn't the only good cam out there, but it suits my needs just perfect.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99WS6LS1T/A
Opinions are like ******** everyone has one, make your own decision on what cam you want.
yea, basically thats how it works. the entire week before i had taken it to the track they all said my toque numbers sucked and it wouldnt come out the hole good with that much weight and low tq and i would be lucky to get 11.4's with it. i havent seen one post like that since i ran the car pulling better 60's than some head/cam package autos with huge stalls, less weight and better suspension. i guess the torque sucks right.

anyway to answer your question, ignoring what everone else says that dont know crap about the cam except what they have seen on a dyno sheet, with a good tuner and 4.10 or better gears, which i had at first, this cam drives great. now i have 4.56's and a stg. 4 clutch. from a roll in first gear only turning 2500, which is supposed to be in the loooow torque area, i can waste the tires from there all the way into 4th gear. and i cruz at 2500 flying down the interstate feeling like a stock car, except 6th gear is now functional for accelerating.

Quick Reply: Lets put this Trex cam buisness to rest..