Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

$$ to repaint a car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $$ to repaint a car

So, my purchase fell through. Bastard lied about the condition of the car.

I was wondering, since I am looking for just a black F-body, how much a repaint would cost. This would give me a lot more options for purchasing.

Does anyone have an estimate, assuming I get it done right, and are there any downsides to doing this? This would be a t-top...not sure if that matters.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

anything from 3-10k. it depends on who does the work and how good their work is.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forget what the last guy just said. If you want a decent paint job, it is going to be anywhere from 1-2500. Yeah, if you want a custom paint job it will be more, like he said, but you are just looking for a black. ****, you can go as low as $800 with a lot of guys that do it independently. Whether their work is up to par or not is hard to tell.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Cool...yeah 10K seemed a bit much for black.

Any downsides to doing this?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Forget what that last guy said

A good repaint will cost ~$2-3k. A good color change will cost ~$3-6k. You usually get what you pay for.

The best thing you can do is see someone's work and decide if you like it or not.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Forget what that last guy said

A good repaint will cost ~$2-3k. A good color change will cost ~$3-6k. You usually get what you pay for.

The best thing you can do is see someone's work and decide if you like it or not.
Yep, Color change is going to cost ya if you want it done right. It cost me (insurance) $2200 to repaint my Navy Blue Metallic 2000 V6 the original color when my wife wrecked it. I no longer own it though.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Fiery Features Director

Everyone will have their own opinions and estimates on this. It all depends on your location, the color of the car originally, how much of it is already prepped (will they need to remove the motor or will you bring them a shell), body condition, etc.... If you drop off a red full interior (nothing removed or prepped) car and ask them to paint it black... prepare to spend anywhere from $700 to $8,000 (again depending on hundreds of factors). A complete color change is more expensive but since you are going with black, the paint won't cost as much as a bright color but the brand they use might be more expensive than another. If you bring the car to one of the best custom paint shops in the USA expect to pay double the price just for the name. No one can really say what you are going to pay. Your best bet is to go get an estimate. If the car requires alot of body work and repair, that will hike the price up. Is the shop in a rich area or the ghetto? All of these things will affect the estimate.

Before having my car painted I got several estimates. For the color I wanted, the estimates ranged from $1,500 all the way up to $5,500 (just for the paint and not the graphics). Take it to several places and get the estimates in person. And another thing... remember that you get what you pay for. Sometimes forking up a little more will save you in the long run!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

forget what the last guy said
and yet you guys say $700-$8000, then another says $2500-$3000? sounds like he should forget what all of you say as well.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by tuffluck
and yet you guys say $700-$8000, then another says $2500-$3000? sounds like he should forget what all of you say as well.
BINGO! ...because until he actually goes and gets the estimate, he will have no idea what he is going to pay!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Cool...but again, are there any downsides to this? Or should I assume since nobody says anything that there are none?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Launching!

What are you trying to determine? Is it going to be cheap to get your car painted to Black? No it is not going to be cheap. If it is, there is a sacrifice in quality of the paint job, the paint used, and how it is all applied and layered on the car. I would advise just go into a body shop, you might just get a good deal and get a kick *** paint job, on the other hand you might a expensive crap paint job. It is who you know, check out the shop, check projects they have just completed and see if you are happy with what they have to offer. Do your research before going into a body shop, you won't look like a jackass.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Was trying to get an idea of the cost, as well as anything that might be bad about me getting this done. As in, paint won't last as long as stock, etc.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Are you looking to do a color change or just repaint it black? Also are you looking for a "factory like" paint job or do you want a show quality finish? When you get the estimate tell the body shop exacly how you want the car to look (if your on a budget you will get a "budget" paint job). I'm not going to throw out an estimate since you've already been given each extreme but, if you pay under $2000 for a black respray their's a good chance you won't be happy. I've been there and done that and unless you have a connection at a shop, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by apathy
Cool...but again, are there any downsides to this? Or should I assume since nobody says anything that there are none?
There are downsides... get the cheap color change and you door jambs and and engine compartment will still be original color. Pay (or rather don't pay ) for bad prep and you'll start to see paint flaking off in no time.

Go to a shop, tell them what you want, ask them how much and then ask for some numbers of customers they have done to check out their work. I don't care what someone tells me, I want to see thier work first hand. It seems like at least half the auto repair shops out there are shady, but then again, there are some really good ones too.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

When you do start narrowing down the shops you want to use.Make sure you get yourself a camera and take pictures of their lots.

Check back a couple of months later and compare the pics to the current state.

How many of the same cars are sitting there untouched?

Some shops especially the ones that do insurance work will put an individuals car on the back burner for a long time.

The insurance companies pay big money and demand quick turn around. So alot of shops care more about their insurance contracts than they do your average guy.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:00 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I would do as much of it as you can yourself.

Do the interior, engine compartment, and all the door jams.

Then all they have to do themselves is the exterior, which is the part that has to look the nicest.

If nothing else do all the major prep work yourself. You could buy the tools and it'd still be worth it.

You might be better off starting with a black car Mr. HP/liter.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z98
You might be better off starting with a black car Mr. HP/liter.
That's what I'm figuring.

Thanks, Mr. I don't understand sarcasm.

Quick Reply: $$ to repaint a car