Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard to swap motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how hard to swap motor?

I'm going to swap my LS1 for an iron block 408 soon. I have an automatic 99 Z28. How hard will this swap be? Any suggestions on how to start? Can it be done from the top?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty straightforward man, we can do it as long as we have a hoist.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you lift it out? I'm getting ready to pull my motor, and I need to know where the lifting points are for the hoist. Not like to good old days where you lift it by the intake.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
How do you lift it out? I'm getting ready to pull my motor, and I need to know where the lifting points are for the hoist. Not like to good old days where you lift it by the intake.
I have seen those lift them out with a chain attached to the front of the passenger head crossed over to behind the driver's side head.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
I have seen those lift them out with a chain attached to the front of the passenger head crossed over to behind the driver's side head.

I just pulled a friends motor out the top couple weeks ago and we also attached the chain at these points. We pulled it after the heads were removed(inspecting damage) but we installed the longblock, the builder had installed the balancer so we had to remove it to clear but we set it in no time.
This was my first time to pull one of these so I know the next one will go even quicker.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just pull the intake off and use the holes in the front and rear of opposite side heads. I recommend pulling the tranny out at the same time It will make mating them up MUCH easier. not to worry it will all fit. When you pick them up you will need to do it so the weight is a little towards the tranny so it comes off the mounts at a 45*. Then just have one person pump the hoist and pull backward slowly. You will have to raise the tailshaft of the tranny up to clear the nose of the car. It is really pretty easy, I do it all the time. Any ?'s pm me.

Rich
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Man it is so much easier to drop out the bottom with the trany and all it is a one day job taking your time too. I am sure you could do it in a day throught the top but with a lot more work IMO. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Man it is so much easier to drop out the bottom with the trany and all it is a one day job taking your time too. I am sure you could do it in a day throught the top but with a lot more work IMO. Good luck!

I would agree that it is quicker to pull it from the bottom but if it is not going back together for a couple of weeks, that lift is going to be tied up for a while. Going out the top lets you still be able to move the car the car around.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've actually seen it done out the bottom, and it is much easier, but it requires lot more space than I have. You almost have to have at least a 2 car garage space dedicated and a ceiling high enough to clear the hoist while its in the air.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:48 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I will agree about the space but just about every home now days has a two car garage and I have 9ft celings in my garage but I could have done it with 8 ft. I used a engine hoist and yes it would tie up some space will it is not working. But if he is just doing a swap it is a one day job. It is your choice and I wish you the best.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
thats how I did mine....pulled both motor mount bolts, the tranny bolt, and just swung the entire thing out the top
Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

thanks guys