PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I fix this broken pcm socket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question How do I fix this broken pcm socket?

The plug was pushed over, which bent the flange. When I straightened out the plug and removed it, I found that the flange broke from being bent. The socket and plug have a nice weathertight seal (normally), and now moisture, rain, etc can get in there around the broken spot.

In another post I asked about fixing it, and somebody said I could swap cases. However, when I took the case apart, the bottom half was empty, and the board, drivers, sockets, etc. are still attached to the top half.

One, it looks like the flange may be part of the board assembly, so I may not be able to swap after all. Because if I pull the pcm, I think the bad flange comes with it. So if I put it in another case, I still have the same problem.

Two, how in the heck do you get the assembly off the top half of the case? I can see 6 teeny little bolts. And some plastic clip looking things. But I haven't figured out how to separate it yet. You can't get at the bolts. And the clips don't seem to release anything.

Help.....
Attached Thumbnails How do I fix this broken pcm socket?-dscf0224.jpg   How do I fix this broken pcm socket?-dscf0225.jpg   How do I fix this broken pcm socket?-dscf0226.jpg  
Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Surely somebody on here knows how to take the pcm apart, and if the socket "housing" is replaceable...
Old 06-03-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't believe that is a piece you can buy... you could buy a junker PCM and swap housings though (it's been awhile since I took my PCM apart, but I believe that outer shroud is part of the main housing)

As far as taking it apart... it's just a bunch of hex screws I believe... as I said I haven't taken mine apart in a while.. but when I did it took less than 5 mins... make sure you have all the bolts out and then pry it open a little by hand (you'll hear a noise as you break the vacuum... not to worry the gasket inside is reusable)

Edit: just saw it's a 98 V6 PCM... that i'm not sure about... I know 99+ LS1 PCMs are easy to take apart... but have never looked at a 98 LS1 or V6 PCM up close...
Old 06-03-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the broken off piece, JB weld it.. Otherwise, you'll be looking at buying a new PCM
Old 06-03-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall the motherboard with the male connector pins via a rubber gasket fit into the case end.
There is some screws holding motherboard to the case.
I have pulled the case end off of a 99 PCM with no problem.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the case design changed in '99. Looks like it's easier to disassemble that year.
Still haven't figured out how to finish taking this '98 v8 pcm apart.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any ideas on the '98 v8... how to get the rest of it apart?

(take a look at the 3rd pic in the original post to see what I'm talking about)

Thanks!

Last edited by John_D.; 06-04-2004 at 03:36 PM. Reason: reference to the pics in the first post.

Quick Reply: How do I fix this broken pcm socket?